Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed many times on here, but my searches have yielded no results....

So anywho, I picked up a set of OEM impala wheels not that long ago and they are in excellent shape with zero road rash. However, the clearcoat is pulling away from the wheels near the center and it looks kind of crummy.
Anyone been able to remedy this problem themselves? I would just sand it down or take a scotch bright pad to them, but I'd hate to damage the finish.

I've found a place near me that will refinish each wheel for $100 a piece, but that's pretty damn steep.

Any thoughts, ideas, or past experience you all have had would be great, thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Really? nobody has put acid or rust remover onto a set of wheels to get the clear off and then re-clear?

Hard to imagine that nobody here has repaired this issue themselves.....

·
Registered
895 Posts
I've never done it myself, but I remember people saying they used airplane paint stripper to remove the old clearcoat, and then repainted the wheels

·
Super Moderator
9,110 Posts
It's just paint. Treat it like a fender. Chemically strip the paint, clean/prep/sand the surface, then pay a good shop to reclear and cure.

One point to note - there is a powdercoat clear that is available and prices may be very attractive based on which powdercoaters can do this in your area. Powdercoating is likely to be more resistant to brake dust and wheel cleaners than the original clear. Be aware that to properly powdercoat aluminum, particularly aluminum rims, the powdercoater needs to do a careful pre-bake to de-gas the wheel, then apply the powder, then final bake. If the powdercoater doesn't explain the intricacies of this to you, keep shopping.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Go to Pep Boys and get some Peeler it is put out by Klean Strip. It works great,just spray on and watch it start to bubble. Then you just hose off. Make sure you don't get it on the plastic on your center caps.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Go to Pep Boys and get some Peeler it is put out by Klean Strip. It works great,just spray on and watch it start to bubble. Then you just hose off. Make sure you don't get it on the plastic on your center caps.

Uh... Unless maybe you like the 'dimple' finish in your paint from the overspray, maybe make sure you don't spray 'Peeler' on your wheels with the wheels on the car... much less with your center-caps on the wheels? I'm thinking that your going to ***-mount the tires from the rims before you even think about spraying a chemical stripper on the wheels (you're 'probably' not going to re-clearcoat the rims with the tires on, and you're sure not going to clear powdercoat them with the tires on).

Am I pickin' nits here?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did mine with the tires still on the rims. It cleaned years of dirt from the tires also. Peeler works better than the aircraft paint remover.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
It's just paint. Treat it like a fender. Chemically strip the paint, clean/prep/sand the surface, then pay a good shop to reclear and cure.

One point to note - there is a powdercoat clear that is available and prices may be very attractive based on which powdercoaters can do this in your area. Powdercoating is likely to be more resistant to brake dust and wheel cleaners than the original clear. Be aware that to properly powdercoat aluminum, particularly aluminum rims, the powdercoater needs to do a careful pre-bake to de-gas the wheel, then apply the powder, then final bake. If the powdercoater doesn't explain the intricacies of this to you, keep shopping.
Good point.

I did mine with the tires still on the rims. It cleaned years of dirt from the tires also. Peeler works better than the aircraft paint remover.
Really? I never heard of it. Other threads I had read on this suggested the aircraft remover.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Peeler is awesome. This is what was recommed on here years ago and i just did my center caps about a month ago and the took about 5 minutes for the clear to come off. Sprayed it on waited and then hosed off. Sometimes you may need to repeat the process to get all the clear off. It is very easy to use.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Dumb question, but is it OK to do this without removing the tires? The sensible part of my brain is saying NO, but the lazy and money conscious part of my brain is saying yes (I hope so).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts