Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
BAD LUCK! More Tranny Problem...

Soo... bit of a long story..

The reason i purchased my new Tranny is as follows: Driving along the highway a tranny cooler line popped off. I dropped the pan and found a horrible amount of debris!

I figure i should not bother with a local rebuild and get a Level 2 custom rebuild.

My trasmission finally arrives due to the Canadian/American boarder screw around... 1-2 months late...

Licensed mechanic installs my new Level 2, Torque Converter, Posi and 373 Rear End.... I told them to specifially tighten the **** outta the hose clamps as this is the reason for all the fun. They do and i double check for peace of mind.

4 Hours later a line pops off my tranny cooler AGAIN and pisses all the tranny fluid out!! I noticed INSTANTLY as i alerted to the 10' oil slick i just created. Push the car 10' into the driveway and change the hose clamps to fuel line clamps. (Recommeneded to me by mechanic and my own semi sensible brain). Not sure why the hose clamps were on there in the first place?? who knows...

Back on the road about 150 miles later and the same line must have popped off AGAIN! This time the engine was cold so no smoke alerted me and it was dark so the oil slick did not get noticed. I sure did notice when the car stops moving though!!!!! i instantly think "MY REAR END IS F-ED! THEY MUST HAVE SCREWED SOMETHING UP WITH THE INSTALL!!". When i get outta the car i see the oil slick again and my heart sinks... Tow the car back to my place and flare the lines this time, re-fill and test drive.. This issue should be resolved now!

The PROBLEM is when you are cruising at any speed at 1/4 throttle and if you let off the gas for a split second the car shifts down 1 gear then when you resume it revs high and shifts back! THIS HAPPENS CONSTANTLY WHEN MAINTAING SPEED! FRUSTRATING and Painfull!!

I insist that the second time when the tranny RAN DRY for approx a 1/2 a mile and then gave up is what started this and the only problem.
Can anyone give me any suggestions?? Its obviously not warrantable considering the punishment it received... Should i pull it and send back for another bill or should i have it serviced locally?? I can mod with confidence but tranny is one thing i have never done any work with and just don't know anything about....

I consulted a tranny shop that builds GM street/drag cars only. They just want to scrap it and do their own rebuild.. Not helpful and NOT an option in my opinion..

ANY ADVICE??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There were sooo many calls in the 2 months it took to get it i don't want to drive the guy mental just yet.. The boarder screwed everything right up on us...

Due to boarder difficulties i don't know is sending it back and forth is worth it as well. I will be responsible for shipping both ways.

The call is something i will have to make. I was just thinking if there was anything else worth exploring first someone may be able to suggest.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Dropping the pan to have a look after some sound advice.

Other than my own bad luck with my lines falling off for un-related reasons the product is amazing!!! This should not get interpruted as negative towards the builder in any way!

The car is a totally different animal after the changes!! The car feels about 1000 lbs lighter off the line and the shifts feel incredible!!!!

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
You really should call Shane to see what he can offer you. I know you're not bashing him, but give him a chance to do something before you post on an open forum. ;)

And, good luck! Check that cooler! Sounds like it's plugged or restricted anyways. REPLACE IT! :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cooler will come out this weekend with the pan.

point taken about the open forum!

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
I know you didnt mean it to be a bashing thread. Its just that some people dont always read a thread and only the title.

You have had bad luck it sounds like. Thank you for clarifying that it was a cooler line that came off and ran the unit dry and not a defective product.

I will help you as best as i can.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wasn't thinking about how it could be interpreted as negative until after it was gone!!

The product went out in PERFECT condition and it is because it ran dry i am experiencing the issue! I hear they don't like attempting to accellerate a few times BONE DRY!

I had such high expectations of eliminating my drivetrain problems that something like this occuring is frustrating and dreaded. I really should have titled the post "I Can't believe i ****ed over my new tranny!" not having the cooler lines flared in the first place was neglegent!

I sincerely apologize. I'm mad at the myself and the car now! In no way did i intend to communicate anything negative about the product itself! Ouch is right...

·
Registered
523 Posts
How much do these trannys cost?? What's the difference between a stage 1 and a stage 2. Do u send him an old tranny and he rebuilds it or u buy the tranny outright? If u do send him an old one does he completely rebuild it so it can be a bad tranny? Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.