Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today my transmission started to act up...took it to a friend of mine who knows these cars inside and out and he said that my transmission will need to be rebuilt...he directed me to a friend he has that does awesome work on rebuilding transmissions...he said it will cost me anywhere between 1200-1600 dollars to have it done....then i got thinkin...what if i switched it out completely for a t56 6 speed transmission....i have found a few that are pretty much in that price range between1400-1600 dollars....any opinions of what i should do?...if i go with gettin the t56 transmission, what needs to be done and modified and purchased to make this a smooth transition for me and so that i dont end up getting the transmission and then finding out i need other parts to have it go in then have to wait to for the parts to be shipped and be without my car even longer...this is my only car so i cant be without it for more than a week!!....please let me know!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
First if I were you Id change the filter and put in new fluid and see how she does with just that... If no good then Check craigslist and junkyards in your area...I got mine for $200 with a warranty....Its not as hard as a job as you think...Me and my brother did mine in like 4 hours with just jackstands.... Or save up a few hundred more and do a complete t56 set up....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how would i even start the t56 setup?...ebay has some t56 transmissions forsale from anywhere between 1400-1600 bucks...besides the transmission what else would i need?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and 1fast94...i know i do need to finish up my profile lol i kinda created it on the fly at work lol...but i have a 96 caprice 9c1 livin in upstate NY,albany area

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
T56 is going to cost $3K+. List exactly what your bad transmission is doing, might be an easy fix that you could do yourself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its having trouble going into park...it will go into park but I have to mess with it a lot to get it to lock into park, for example..ill pull into a parking spot and go to put it in park but it won't lock,ill take my foot off the brake and it'll start rollin...so I have to put it in reverse and then put it back in park and hold the shifter up a little longer and ill hear it lock into park...and when that doesn't work I have to put it in reverse,move the car back about an inch then put it in park and it'll lock, then when that does work I gotta put the car in reverse move it back then put it in drive and move it back up then put it back in park and it'll lock lol, so u see its just a headache! Lol then yesterday it started messing up while I'm driving...my first gear feels like there's a loss of power,I could have the pedal halfway to the floor and I can feel it struggling, along with the loss of power in the first gear,the first gear will hit rev limitor the shift real hard...all the other gears from 2-4 shift fine...its my 1st-2nd gear and the loss of power...I check all my fluids and they all look fine!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was looking on craigslist and theres a guy selling a 95LT1 engine hooked up to a T56 transmissin and says he has everything i need to put it in my caprice...he's selling the engine and transmission together for 1800.00 or 950.00 a piece....the engine has 50Kmiles on it and the T56 is rebuilt....now my only question is....how do i go about putting the 95 engine into my 96...ive heard that the crank position sensors are different but can get away with using the timing cover off the 96...but then can i use my 96 pcm to run the 95 motor????...or is there a conversion i can do....because the 95LT1 is out of a camaro going into a 96caprice 9c1....how can i make this work?!?!?!

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Sounds like your shifter rod is out of adjustment. You need to jack you car up (use jack stands). I would get the entire car on jack stands for testing. Look for the shifter rod that connects to the transmission gear selector it has one bolt on it. Loosen the bolt make sure your tranny is in park (and the shifter) then tighten the bolt back and test it out.

HTH

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
i was looking on craigslist and theres a guy selling a 95LT1 engine hooked up to a T56 transmissin and says he has everything i need to put it in my caprice...he's selling the engine and transmission together for 1800.00 or 950.00 a piece....the engine has 50Kmiles on it and the T56 is rebuilt....now my only question is....how do i go about putting the 95 engine into my 96...ive heard that the crank position sensors are different but can get away with using the timing cover off the 96...but then can i use my 96 pcm to run the 95 motor????...or is there a conversion i can do....because the 95LT1 is out of a camaro going into a 96caprice 9c1....how can i make this work?!?!?!
If you have car inspections you might be able to do a OBDI conversion or you could get a custom tune on your OBDII 96 PCM. The first one is a little cheaper if you are going to keep upgrading and need to change tunes also it is recommended to have 4.10-4.56 gears in the rear. You also need this kit http://www.f2bkit.com/ and it explains the other parts you need as well. I would go for the free repair on the auto first and if you really want a T56 start collecting parts.

Good Luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
can i use the T56 crossmember off the camaro for my 96 caprice?

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
No, are you going to try adjusting your shifter linkage?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im taking my car tomorrow to the guy thats supposed to do my tranny work, so im going to have him take a look at it and drive it and see what he thinks it is...but i think i am going to go with the T56 tranny,i wanted to do it eventually and im not trying to spend the money twice lol....so..so far i know i need the master/slave cylinders,pedal assembly,shifter and shifter knob,crossmember...what else would i need? and does anybody know where i can get the parts for a good price?????:)...thank you EVERYONE by the way for all the info. its been EXTREMELY helpful!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts