Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today my transmission started to act up...took it to a friend of mine who knows these cars inside and out and he said that my transmission will need to be rebuilt...he directed me to a friend he has that does awesome work on rebuilding transmissions...he said it will cost me anywhere between 1200-1600 dollars to have it done....then i got thinkin...what if i switched it out completely for a t56 6 speed transmission....i have found a few that are pretty much in that price range between1400-1600 dollars....any opinions of what i should do?...if i go with gettin the t56 transmission, what needs to be done and modified and purchased to make this a smooth transition for me and so that i dont end up getting the transmission and then finding out i need other parts to have it go in then have to wait to for the parts to be shipped and be without my car even longer...this is my only car so i cant be without it for more than a week!!....please let me know!

·
Registered
576 Posts
There's a few posts about a T56 swap. There's a lot more to it that bolting in the trans. Not a weekend job or a good choice when repairing a daily driver I'd say.

$12-$1600 for a rebuild seems high.......

I'd get a good used one for a few hundred bucks.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
If this is your only car, you need to either find a junkyard 4L60E or get yours rebuilt. A T56 conversion is possible over a weekend only with the help of friends, having all the parts on hand ahead of time, and some mad skillz in case something goes wrong.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It's ultimately your choice of course. But if it were me, i'd have my tranny rebuilt. $1200-$1600 seems pretty reasonable for a trans rebuilt if the shop doing it is known for good reputable work. I know some shops are cheaper, and some are way more. While you're at it you could be a nice kit and stall in there...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was looking on craigslist and theres a guy selling a 95LT1 engine hooked up to a T56 transmissin and says he has everything i need to put it in my caprice...he's selling the engine and transmission together for 1800.00 or 950.00 a piece....the engine has 50Kmiles on it and the T56 is rebuilt....now my only question is....how do i go about putting the 95 engine into my 96...ive heard that the crank position sensors are different but can get away with using the timing cover off the 96...but then can i use my 96 pcm to run the 95 motor????...or is there a conversion i can do....because the 95LT1 is out of a camaro going into a 96caprice 9c1....how can i make this work?!?!?!

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Don't forget about the pedals, radiatior [or plugs for the trans lines], shifter, linkage, clutch, pressure plate, clutch master & slave cylinders, console, trans mounts, drive shaft, etc, etc... for the swap.

I have no idea about the 95 into a 96 specifically but I'm sure the PCM would need reprogrammed and of course the crank sensor [none on earlier models so just leave it unpluged??].

Here you go:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=249407

He's selling most of what you'll need.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the T56 that this guy down the road has,has been completely rebuilt but unfortunetly he only has the transmission,flywheel,clutch pad and pressure plate so besides the pedals, radiatior [or plugs for the trans lines], shifter, linkage, clutch, pressure plate, clutch master & slave cylinders, console, trans mounts, drive shaft,...what else would i need to make this a smooth swap...and would u know where i could get the parts for a good price?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts