Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Possible for the vss to be bad but speedometer working?

1-2 shift delayed,if you get car up to approx 18-20 mph & let all the way off the throttle it shifts,also driving along 20-30 mph,then turn a corner(where you would maybe slow down to 15 or so mph)instead of staying in 2nd the car goes back to 1st & you have to do the 18-20 mph let off again thing to shift.

It has new fluid/filter & i pulled the accumulator,spring wasn't broken,piston seemed to move ok w/out cocking & housing wasn't scored.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Possible for the vss to be bad but speedometer working?

1-2 shift delayed,if you get car up to approx 18-20 mph & let all the way off the throttle it shifts,also driving along 20-30 mph,then turn a corner(where you would maybe slow down to 15 or so mph)instead of staying in 2nd the car goes back to 1st & you have to do the 18-20 mph let off again thing to shift.

It has new fluid/filter & i pulled the accumulator,spring wasn't broken,piston seemed to move ok w/out cocking & housing wasn't scored.
Check your TPS. I would set it to .72. Most people recommend .67 but I was getting a TPS too low code and the car was shifting like yours

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
I was going to say TPS as well. I had an issue like this with a 98 GMC Jimmy. Shifted real late and hard, and when you let off the gas, it shifted back.

This thread caught my attention because my 95 6 speed is slow to come back to idle sometimes and was kinda thinking VSS. I can be stopped and it will be turning 14-1500 rpm until it finally works its way down.

Might just need a good TB cleaning.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had already tried a different tps,i had a roadmaster that the body had some dings on,so i just pulled the tranny out of it & ins in this car yesterday,hated to take the rm apart.Between my son & i we have 4 wagons 3 w/probs,unfortanately the rm was the best runner,but also the ugliest,so i'll use it to fix the other 3 cars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.