Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Since I have squealing front brakes (probably just wear tabs on the pads), I've been looking around at other brake stuff. Just saw a commercial on TV for Baer DecelaRotors which are supposed to be "cheap" factory replacement rotors that are drilled and slotted.

AutoZone has them (Part number 5577-020) for $243.99 a pair. :eek:

Without having anything else upgraded, would that be a worthwhile investment? If you want to suggest new calipers or anything for my '96 B4U that would make it a better investment, I'm also open to those suggestions.
Thanks for opinions/advice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With what I have now -- no idea what they are, how old they are, but I'd bet they're cheap -- I sometimes worry about being able to stop.

One time last year, someone ran a red light and I had to SLAM on my brakes.. still almost hit the guy. When I got out of the car at my stop, I could smell something that had to be coming from the brakes, cause I didn't smell it before that day and haven't smelled it since.

I want what'll help me stop better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's one hell of a price you're gonna pay for a name. Not to mention the fact that slotted and drilled rotors decrease the surface area of the rotor and therefore reduce the amount of area that can be used to stop the car. Check out this thread and I'm sure you'll find that saving ~$100 would be a good thing. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be glad to save $100, trust me.

Is this what you were refering to?

i just got thru with the passanger side,and in the morning the drivers side. autoze rotors p/n5577b $38.99,and pfc brakes - front and rear0628-20 rear$40.99,and 0614-20 front $35.99....guy's on the forum recommended the pfc brakes, to keep ugly brake dust off your rims.(96-9c1)
Guess I'll check that stuff out. Thanks for the tips.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So then why are the AMG Mercedes and Porsches coming with cross drilled from the factory? It helps performance by letting the rotor cool faster, helping with brake fade. I bet if he had drilled rotors at that one time he mentioned, it might have saved him a foot. Might not sound like much, but imagine if that foot saved you from hitting the guy in front of you by an inch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by iiibdsiil:
So then why are the AMG Mercedes and Porsches coming with cross drilled from the factory?
Simply because bling is sexy and it sells!

And if you paid that much for the car you'd want the 'look' that goes with it so you can show it off to all your friends. There is nothing wrong with this at all mind you. But if you really think all this is for true performance I'll have to disagree.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by andrew96B4U:
I'll be glad to save $100, trust me.

Is this what you were refering to?

Guess I'll check that stuff out. Thanks for the tips.
Just heed what Wayne has to say about the brakes in the thread. He pretty knowledgable:

Originally posted by Wayne Bengston:
Just to make sure people understand. It's the cheap, "bargain" Autozone rotors I'm talking about. Autozone's Duralast line has done pretty well for me.
Originally posted by iiibdsiil:
So then why are the AMG Mercedes and Porsches coming with cross drilled from the factory? It helps performance by letting the rotor cool faster, helping with brake fade.
Besides the fact that it won't cool any better and the slots are there to "remove gasses" on common-day pads which, by the way, don't produce any gasses, just listen to Todd and look at the banner at the top of this section (TCE ;) ).

Originally posted by Todd TCE:
Simply because bling is sexy and it sells!

But if you really think all this is for true performance I'll have to disagree.
If that doesn't convince ya, ask Ed Runnion. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Todd is a smart smart man, and has probably forgotten more about brakes than most of us know ;) .

In other words, listen to him

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.