Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Scott here from Southeastern MI (Detroit Area). Ive been lurking here for the last 6 months reading and researching before I finally picked up a 1992 Caprice Classic as my next project. I figured I would post some pictures and see what you guys thought.

First off, I was rolling a Blazer Xtreme 5-speed on 20/22's. It was only front bagged and the rear was a 6 1/2" static drop and I loved it.

I really liked the sporty-ness of this truck and planned on running a built 6.0L LQ4 in it, but my attention quickly changed after 4 years of it to something bigger and more comfortable as I went to more out of state shows and meets. Thus comes my Caprice...

At the end of summer I picked up a 1992 Caprice Classic with 81,XXX on the clock, minor body rot where they all rust, and a few dings and dents. Other than that it was mint with the usual sun fade and slightly cracked dash.

The plans for this winter:

Bagged, laying frame on 22" Coy C5 wheels
Engine driven compressor, 5 gallon tank, all 3/8" line and valves
AirLift Autopilot Digital air management system
Slam Specialties RE7 bags up front, Firestone F9000 in rear (for now)
Keep the back seat

Future:
New 2-tone paint job
Redo interior, all painted with leather/suede seats
Some good sounds
Possibly Engine down the road if Im feeling frisky

Now onto the pictures!!!

Here she is stock sitting at my work the day I brought her into the shop for cutting

Frame starting to clearance for bags (will radius edges when done so frame stress will not crack it)

Here she is on stockers getting an idea of how much we will have to cut

Next, we de-humped the lower control arms and pie-cut the uppers: Clears the frame and corrects the binding upper balljoint

Which in turn got the wheel this high:

Now everything is pretty much cut up and clearanced, this is how much my control arms move up into the frame...

Lower control arms welded up and re-plated. Just need sand blasting, new bushings and balljoints!

This does not show it well but with a bag, cups and the suspension fully up (inner fender structure cut up) there is still about 1/2" for the lower arm to move upwards. Also these wheels are a +30mm offset off of my buddies truck, we used them for the diameter, my wheels will be +13 to +15

Now the glory pics with a mockup wheel

So far we have about 16-18 hours into it from pulling into the garage to now. This is the first Caprice we have laid out on 22s, so I dont think that is too bad with the trial and error of cutting, mocking up, teardown, re cutting etc etc. Next is to get the tie-rod ends notched, shocks recesed into the frame and anti-swaybar figured out. Then its on to tackle the back end of this beast with a new 4 link!!!

Feel free to let me know what you think!!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holidays will dampen the speed for two weeks but they will start flyin back in here soon!! As far as the EDC it is a York 210, should fill that 5 gallon from 0 to 200psi in no time!

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Dammit, I need to slam my car asap.That looks sooooooooooooooo gooood.

I thought you had a wagon at first, i was gonna hate even more.

That blazer was hot too. Are those coys on the blazer?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
damn looking good bro!
Your blazer looked damn good

·
Registered
252 Posts
nice work, I'm gonna keep watchin the build

·
Registered
378 Posts
looks good so far.....good luck on the rear...

i am baggged on 15 inch white walls and plan on re-doing mine soon with 22's so i'll keep an eye on the build...

what size tire are you gonna run?

are you going to have stock spindles or drops?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I see that you filled em up, but Is it safe to cut that much out of the control arms?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Carl welding up the passenger lower arm plates

Passenger notched for tie rod ends

Welded in now

But then we ran into issues, using the cups and RE7 bags, at full drop the outside of the bag towards the lower balljoint contacts the arm too much for comfort, so we had to re-assess the situation and start cutting again.

Essentially we clearanced about .5in around the bags, cut the lower cups down 1" roughly (bag botttomed out before suspension did), and clearanced the same down (about .5in). There is still contact at this point, I went home. But it was still being worked on. More pictures to come Saturday!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
killerzracing71 - Yeah they were Coys C5, which I will also be running on my Caprice, just in chrome. Also I sold the LQ4 earlier this year once I ditched the blazer unfortunately!

DWARD - I am planning on running a 245/35 22 up front and a 255/35 22 out back, but that may all change here when I order my wheels. I am also on stock spindles, but I would like to fab my own upper and lower control arms and run drop spindles in the future.

ClaSSic - Yeah it is safe to cut them up, we are using 1/8" plate to reweld and plate them back up, they also still have much rigidity from the coil pocket as well as the flare on the outside of the arm. I keep trying to talk my buddies into using the new tubing bender to fab up some tubular arms, we will see how good I am at convincing!!

customcaprice - The paint is actually pretty hit, it was all burgundy a year or two ago but the top was faded. Instead of painting it all, it was two toned with silver and tigerstriped like a sonofabitch!! Also the stock burgundy color is trashed since its 17 years old. Its basically a good 20 footer, or looks decent on a camera phone haha

Everyone else thanks for the props, keep the comments and suggestions flowing!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well progress on this thing was slowed a bit the last couple of weeks due to holidays and things. I have not made it over there too much due to Christmas shopping, work, and the family thing. Hopefully I will be able to commit more time to help these guys out....
The control arm issue was being a pain in the ass trying to fit this big ass bag on here, we cut and cut and the arm started to get super thin. So this is what they figured out for me and I'm stoked!!!!

Just a mockup for now, apparently needs some tweaking as well but its a great start!!!

So ClaSSic - I guess we wont have to worry anymore about cutting my stock arms up!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! I need to buy some pressable lower balljoints and weldable cups to put them in, probably from Suicidedoors.com but for now these will do. Cant wait to get the front completed so we can knock out the rear!

·
Registered
378 Posts
control arms look good but why did you have to take so much out of the stock arms? i just de-humped mine and i lay a 28 inch tire with no rubbing. i know a 22 is a bigger diameter but drop spindles would've fixed that right?

I'm not critiquing your work...just askin, cause i'm planning the same thing soon:)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lmao, because I am too cheap to buy drop spindles. We want to lay it on a stock spindle so later I can lay a 24 for shows if I feel like it (on drop spindles). This setup with stock arms would have easily laid out a 28" tall tire on stock spindles, its just the bag Im running is effing huge and rubbed the arm when fully compressed.

1 - 20 of 243 Posts