Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I want a highway cruiser, that is its primary purpose long distances at a time effortlessly... Air Ride makes sense, also really looks bitchin' when ya park it and dump it! But what else am i gonna need? I don't intend to grind rail or lay frame, but are spindles a good idea? Sway bars? what is the best combination?

BTW, I have a '93 wagon

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, If ya bag it and put spindles on, your gunna rail! If you don't want to lay out completely, Id suggest the shockwaves by Air Ride Tech. They have the built in shock through the bag. Otherwise you will have to relocate your shock which hasnt been an easy task for anyone. Threeimpalas is running the shockwaves and if I recall, his wagon dosn't lay but damn close.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 'Waves will put your front as low as possible w/o spindles. It'll be like 1.5" off the pavement depending upon which tires you have. People tend to bitch and moan about how the Shockwaves don't have as much lift as regular bags, but I haven't found that to be a problem. At full lift it'll put you back up to stock height or higher (it's be a looooong time since the wagon was stock). I just put 3k miles on it in a month and a half w/o problem. Have probably 20k miles on it since the install and a been glad a couple of times I couldn't lay frame (problems were due to installer stupidity).

I would definately suggest going with a 4 way system or else the side to side body roll will suck. Your stock swaybars are fine, although you could always step up to the other bars people use. Unfortunately, we wagon guys have less options than the sedans in that department. Beefy swaybars will hinder your side-side dumpage when you're wanting to show off.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much did the shockwave system cost you threeimpalas?(parts) And what kind of controls for your air ride system are you running. I red in a trucking mag that they have an auto-leveling system with three height adjustments(highest, lowest , and highway). It also adjust the bag pressure when people are in the car kind of like cadillacs and lincolns. Does this sound like a good option. How much was your installation too?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like this topic. I want to do mine soon too.

threeimpalas: Are you using spindles? It sounds like you are not and your front end is at about 1.5" off the ground. So with the air completely out the car is still somewhat driveable? That's what I want, I don't want to be stranded somewhere with the frame on the ground.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My setup was something like $2500, installation was free since I did it myself. You can figure prices via the Air Ride Techonologies website ( www.ridetech.com ). I'm using the "Ride-Pro" 4 way system with a couple of "upgrades". The "Intelliride" system is a neat deal, but it is considerably more expensive. It's easy enough just to tap the switches manually and raise/lower the car for the given conditions. I've only got 1/4" lines, so I have pretty precise control over the pressure adjustments. I don't like going with the 1/2" or bigger lines like some people try to push because you lose that fine control over the pressure. The only reason to have lines that big is if you want to hop (in which case I think you should just do it the real way and go with hydros).

With stock SS rims and tires, the crossmember is 2" off the ground. With my billet wheels it's a little under 1.5" since they've got shorter rubber. When the car is all the way down it's still moveable, but not really driveable. If I got stuck somewhere aired out I wouldn't really want to go over 15-20 mph for very long since you've got absolutely no suspension travel.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
threeimpalas: what did you do for your rear setup? did you notch the frame or does the axle just rest on the frame if so how far is the frame from the ground?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the back I'm using Ride Tech's wagon kit. I haven't ever gotten around to removing the bumpstops in back, so it sits on them. Has about a pop can's height worth of space between the frame rail and ground in front of the rear wheel. If you want the back to lay frame it requires a bunch of work. Have the c-notch the frame rail, notch the rear crossmember, and do some floor pan work.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i have a bagged caprice laying frame and crossmember on 18's and if you want to talk about cutting, let me tell you there was alot of that in this car. Because you know what they say: go big or go home!
but my frame in the rear was on the ground until i put bars for draging

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just quoted $3000 for everything f-b-s-s??1/2" lines,solenoids and a small 10 switch box.Lifetime warrnty on welding.Using firestone bags and 8 solenoids?What do you guys tink?He said it would almost hit the floor on 22's and i could lift the wheels off the ground???

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bustn:
I was just quoted $3000 for everything f-b-s-s??1/2" lines,solenoids and a small 10 switch box.Lifetime warrnty on welding.Using firestone bags and 8 solenoids?What do you guys tink?He said it would almost hit the floor on 22's and i could lift the wheels off the ground???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sounds like a damn good deal. All those parts would cost you about 2000

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to lay out in the front on 22's would be a dream but in the front you would have to cut the face of the frame to let the lower control arm to come up enough plus the tires would come though the hood then there is the monster size step notch needed in the rear section of frame
the best but more work way is to bring the body down and not the frame, BODYDROP!
but "You cant loose with 22's"

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ThreeImpalas, are you using ShockWaves on both front and rear? if not what are you running on the rear? Your wagon looks way great! Thanks for all the info guys...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am notto worried about laying frame.I just want it to go up and down really fast and not bounce.I forgot to mention that shocks were also included in that price.I'd love to lower the car 2-3" more...

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MO_Bob:
ThreeImpalas, are you using ShockWaves on both front and rear? if not what are you running on the rear? Your wagon looks way great! Thanks for all the info guys...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just up front. To run Shockwaves out back you'd have to beef up the shock mounts on the axle and redo the rear crossmember. A regular bag setup works just fine back there anyway. No real reason to change it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Any of you wagon guys have any pics or info on notching the rear of these wagons? I am wanting to start but really would like some more info on it. From my gatherings the rear of the wagon is different from the sedan, but anything will help. I want to lay all the way around. Thanks, John
[email protected]

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I emailed a place last week on a quote for my wagon and this is what he replied

"hello,
on a 91 wagon your looking at 3200.00 installed
this includes all our work , which i dont know if you have seen before.
1-viair 450 100% duty cycle compressor
8-fbss 300 psi valves , which i recomend over the standar f/b 4 valve
set up
to help handling and stabalizing your car
1-6 gallon 8 port tank
1-waterseperator
1-250 psi adjustable pressure switch
all 1/2 line
all brass compression fittings
your choice of mometary rocker switches or switch box
4-2600 lbs bags
4-shocks
1-distribution bloc
1-relay
front cups
shock relocater kit
all over our mounts and bracketry we make here in house , we dont order
from
the outside
all this with our install"

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where do you guys find such cheap deals?

3000 around here will get such a cheap setup!
:rolleyes:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Call me if you have any questions. Our kits start at $1295.00 which includes everything needed. We now do air ride installs in house starting at $1000.00 ---> $1400.00 including parts. $1400.00 would be for a C-notch in the rear and to cut away the front spring retainer. Our shop opened 2 months ago and we have already bagged 6 91-6 Bbodies and about 4 misc trucks.....

Jason - Street Trends

PS - If you are in Cali. or close it is worth you to come in and see the new shop!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts