Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I believe the shorter bolts are 3/8-16. The center crank bolt looks as if it would be 3/8-24. But it's early.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
976 Posts
harmonic bolts are 3/8" coarse thread
crank/hub bolt is 7/16" fine thread

I bought a 3' threaded rod & nuts from grainger for installing hub.
Have extra(s) and could cut you a chunk and send to ya for few bucks.

For hub removal just used a standard HF puller and spacer.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys, I'm looking for info on removing the harmonic balancer from the crank hub, there are 3 threaded holes for doing this and they are something smaller than 3/8".

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Guys, I'm looking for info on removing the harmonic balancer from the crank hub, there are 3 threaded holes for doing this and they are something smaller than 3/8".
I know exactly the ones your talking about and don't know the thread size/count. I had a Puller kit that had an assortment of Bolts and it just happened to have 3 that fit these holes. Pretty sure it's the same size bolts that were in my Steering Wheel puller kit too. but if you got a Harbor Freight around you, those balancer puller kits are cheap and include a bunch of different bolts. Maybe also check with autozone or advance to borrow a Puller kit from them. they also usually have an assortment of bolts

Normally, you the balancer should just slide off but rust tends to get in there and hold it on. After removing the 3 Pulley to Hub bolts, try to spin the Pulley on the hub to free it up a bit. also, try to clean the area of the Crank Snout where it comes thru the center of the balancer. then just work the pulley around a bit to see if it will slide off.

If not, the 3 little bolts and the puller will make removal a breeze. Do you have a "bucket of bolts" laying around? If so, find 1 that threads in and then just match it up at the HW store. You could also but 1 of each Standard size below the 3/8" untl you find one that threads in...pretty sure these are coarse thread in the range of 16-18 thread.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts

the removal is to use the inner portion of the wheel .. DO NOT USE ANY FORCE ON THE OUTER balancer wheel BELT RING.that is held by a rubber flex material ..

when I removed the wheel I used penetrating oil on the hub/wheel to loosen the rust..the wheel came off with not much effort but I did lube this prior to its removal. when I put it all back I painted the wheel and put some anti seize paste on the hub area that contacts the wheel.. after several years I had no issues removing the wheel took bolts out wheel came off no problem and NO rust.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
The mounting holes in the balancer are not threaded. The threads are on the hub. Remove the 3 bolts from the balancer and the balancer will come off the hub. It's probably on there pretty good with road-grime and rust so soak it in PB Blaster and then use a wire brush to remove as much scale as you can. Even then, you may still have to wrestle a bit.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yep, the balancer should just come off, all the ones I've worked on it was pretty easy to remove. May need a couple of light love taps to free it up.

The balancer does have additional threaded holes, the mechanical fan pulley bolts to balancer/uses them.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
FOR THE LT1

For what it is worth so all the sizes are in one post .

Damper hub to crankshaft center bolt is 7/16 - 20

The three bolts that hold the damper to the hub are 7/16-14

The three threaded holes in the damper that CAN be used to pull a stubborn damper off hub are M8-1.25 ( so close to 5/16- 18 that people cram SAE hardware in them.)
The V08 cars use these to hold on the additional pulley.

Must be nice to live in a climate where dampers just slide off ;)
In my world, half of them stuck to the hubs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
[SNIP]

Must be nice to live in a climate where dampers just slide off ;)
In my world, half of them stuck to the hubs.
Yeah I've lived in both climates, both have their advantages & disadvantages.

Once the the three flange head bolts come out (14MM heads if memory serves me this morning) the dampner usually needs a whack with the dead blow to break free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts