Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I am in the process of rebuilding my lt1 that had 260,000 on it, back to stock bottom end for now, eventually i plan on upgrading to 3.75 stroke. Gasket matching heads or maybe have them ported 1.6 rockers bee-hive springs, and comp 304 cam. stock converter tranny and gears. I don't want to put the old balancer back on or the hub. I have been looking at ati super damper but am thinking that it a little bit over kill. I do like the idea of having keyed balancer hub. Do you guys have any recomendations on balancers.

Thanks for your time
Chad

· Registered
1,195 Posts
The bigger the diameter of the balancer, the better it is at damping.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dwayne are you saying that i shouldn't be worried about the interference fit of the stock hub and the effectiveness of the balancer. Gears and converter are in the works not that should make a difference. Don't I want to stay with the stock size of 6.75 on the caprice.

· Premium Member
852 Posts
When my stock damper got the wobblies, I went with this damper http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/51605/10002/-1
and this hub. http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/51608/10002/-1

Some have said these rust if left with just the clear coat they come with, so I took a chance at "upsetting the balance" and painted mine. Seems to be fine.

Unless you plan on zinging your engine to 6500 rpm or you're really sporting a woody for a high-zoot damper, I'd also suggest you stick with stock.

· Premium Member
6,395 Posts
If it were me, I'd go with a keyed hub. It's a relatively minor expense and it avoids finding out the hard way that your's was one of the ones that spun. I can't tell you where to get it these days though. Mine came from Thunder Racing and as far as I know they stopped making them.

· Registered
544 Posts
I am still running the factory hub and balancer on my car. I do plan on upgrading to a keyed hub ASAP since I'm running a supercharger.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just found the pioneer keyed hub from thunder racing. Does anybody know if this will work with a stock damper? This seams like a good option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.