Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys..need some help from you experts out there. I have a 95 SS and when I was backing out the other day the drivers side lower ball joint broke off cleanly right below the castle nut and down she went. Car was barely moving so no apparent damage other than the wheel molding is slightly pushed away from the fender. Was planning to rework the front end anyway but looking to start by getting the broken ball joint replaced. Got a Moog replacement part and the press from Advance Auto. However in trying to use the press to push out the old bj it seems you need to have about three hands to get the retaining cup under the bj and aligned with the c clamp and the other end of the ball joint with a disc from the kit and it moves around so much that direct pressure can't seem to be applied and by the time you get the top under control the bottom retaining cup has moved and may not be around the bj any longer. After many tries it usually ended up with the miscellaneous parts from the kit on the floor to a chorus of obscenities from me. what am I doing wrong? HELP!

·
Registered
976 Posts
It's definitely a PITA, and takes what seems like 3 hands. Just went down this road.

Get it close as you can with still being able to shift the assembly, then slowly align the cup & adapter.
Eventually you'll get it aligned and be able to press it out.

If not, maybe the kit you have doesn't have a suitable cup size?
Maybe bribe a 2nd pair of hands with beer/pizza/whatever?

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Time to call in one of the favors that are owed to you. Some perseverance is called for. Get it close, so that you can hold one end while slipping the other between the clamp and the part. It is also easier if you take the arm off of the car. Replace both of them, because if one is bad, the other is close behind.

I have done the bushings, and it is a lot easier with an impact wrench. I got an electric one from Harbor Freight. If you need an extension cord, get a short one, and make sure it is super heavy duty.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Try it upside down, the screw on the bottom. The hole in the clamp would slide over the ball joint stud

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Phew!

Glad to hear you and the car (for the most part) are A-ok. Could have been sooooo Much Worse and exactly why I did this mod....

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/17-suspension/351769-my-5-8-bj-install-pics-tips-part-s.html

I'd also be concerned if the Steering Knucked isn't damaged somehow where the BJ installs. Think i read if the BJ doesn't fit the knuckle well it could Snap as yours did. Not sure how best to inspect it, maybe Bill (navy lifer) will chime in or send him a PM and get his thoughts.

Good luck and consider yourself....LUCKY. >:).

·
Premium Member
586 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the comments and ideas...also meant to ask in my original post whether or not there is a snap ring on the old bj, new part does not include one and I don't see one but just wanted to make certain, thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
The knuckle IS suspect--you could end up with another broken ball joint in short order, and maybe not so lucky the next time.

Pictures or someone who has knowledge would need to get eyeballs on it, but your safest path is to replace the knuckle (aka spindle).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts