Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the upper and lower ball joints on Saturday. Man what a difference! I guess my old ones were really worn out.

Anyway, the front of my car sits a smidgen higher than before. Do the Moog ball joints raise the car or does the front sag with worn ball joints? (or both)

Mike

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Neither, most likely. Rather, it's probably just your springs need to re-settle after being unloaded for the balljoints replacement.

In other words, drive it a week and check back :D

I'm about due for new balljoints myself. Only about 45K or so on these, but to say they've been rough miles would be an understatement :D . Would much rather replace them "now" instead of "later, after the damage is done to the fender from failure".

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My ball joints were original with almost 90,000 miles. They started popping a while back so I knew I they needed replaced. I also developed a loose feeling in my steering and thought I need to tighten up the steering box and the car wandered around a bit.

The new ball joint made the front end feel 100% better. The car doesn’t wander around and the steering feels much tighter (no dead spot). I must have been slapping around those old ball joints for a while. I definitely got my moneys worth on those things!

BTW, changing lower ball joints on the car is a royal pain in the butt!
The uppers were a piece of cake.

I will have to take some measures to help settle my front springs…all for the sake of maintenance of course. :D

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts