Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has there ever been a 94-96 impala SS come across the bidding block on Barrett Jackson?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, "NO."

FWIW, I've seen a few in the Mecum Auto auctions: always super clean BBB stockers being had for pennies on the dollar...

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, "NO."

FWIW, I've seen a few in the Mecum Auto auctions: always super clean BBB stockers being had for pennies on the dollar...

yes there has

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Has there ever been a 94-96 impala SS come across the bidding block on Barrett Jackson?
A bad ass 94 SS. Do a search on here.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Blue you be your game on this forum...

Like I said a bad ass SS

·
Registered
346 Posts
caprice and impala have been ok there. fleeyeood too I think.

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
My recollection: The lone 6-speed car started out as a real (production) 94 SS - not a prototype. It may have a GM R&D (experimental) VIN, but I tend to think not. The trans conversion and other work may or may not be considered "prototype"--still, the chance of it EVER becoming production was virtually zero...regardless of things J. Moss may have "hinted" at the time.

from the B-J listing (summarized): (no VIN provided)

"one of one"--only 6-speed installed by GM (actually I recall it was Roush Industries that did the conversion & other work), sold on a salvage title.

Someone in the AZ/CA desert has been posting this car for re-sale, VIN may be found there to validate whether it was originally a car that could actually be sold, based on the VIN.

The 6 speed/gears and engine mods meant the car was not, by EPA & GM standards, a certified combination that could be sold to the public as a "legal" car.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
My recollection: The lone 6-speed car started out as a real (production) 94 SS - not a prototype. It may have a GM R&D (experimental) VIN, but I tend to think not. The trans conversion and other work may or may not be considered "prototype"--still, the chance of it EVER becoming production was virtually zero...regardless of things J. Moss may have "hinted" at the time.

from the B-J listing (summarized): (no VIN provided)

"one of one"--only 6-speed installed by GM (actually I recall it was Roush Industries that did the conversion & other work), sold on a salvage title.

Someone in the AZ/CA desert has been posting this car for re-sale, VIN may be found there to validate whether it was originally a car that could actually be sold, based on the VIN.

The 6 speed/gears and engine mods meant the car was not, by EPA & GM standards, a certified combination that could be sold to the public as a "legal" car.
More about the car here:
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=238168

We discovered that this car actually started out as a B4U, built almost nine months before production Impalas.
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=1G1BN52P4RR100024

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
So much for my short-term memory--I kept telling myself there was more to the story, but I didn't take time to search....so I stand corrected.

Early (pre-production) VIN,--mules, or whatever they're called--as this was the first year to get LT1, there were probably some extra things that needed to be done to validate everything.

On the VIN printout at Compnine, take note of RPO VS7 - 1 of 55 cars with that designation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Blue is right. Rick Hendrick bought the 92 Impala SS 510 at the Barrett Jackson Auction ! This is what was really considered to be the "prototype" as far as the 94-96 is concerned. I got this from supercars.net
The auction description was as follows:"This is the original Impala SS pre-production prototype 'mule' , in a somewhat high performance modified form. The ultimate street bruiser and cruiser Impala SS with Big Block power. This is the original Impala SS pre-production prototype 'mule' car, in a somewhat high performance modified form. The SS became production for 1994 and rather than dispose of the unique concept vehicle, Jon A Moss simply did his magic and take the car one step further. The ultimate street bruiser and cruiser Impala SS with Big Block power."

·
Registered
834 Posts
I thought Jim Perkins bought it.

Quote from Navy Lifer's link. Post number 51.
http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=244132&page=2

The 510 SS was purchased at Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale last year by Rick Hendrick. Jim Perkins--the man who directed the construction of the prototype SS, and who, after leaving GM, went to work in the Hendrick organization as CEO--was there with the bid paddle and actually made the winning bid.

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
I thought Jim Perkins bought it.
Craig, it was Hendrick money that paid for the car.....it's in Hendrick's personal car inventory.

For anyone wondering, here's a bit more on Jim Perkins and his Hendrick connection.

As already mentioned, it was on his watch, and by his effort, that the Impala SS got the management support to convince the GM executive decision makers to authorize the car to be built.

·
Registered
201 Posts
oops!!!

I stand corrected

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts