Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 Buick Roadmaster has 116,000 miles on it. When I drove it to work on Wed. I parked it same as always. But when I trued to start it 6 or 7 hours later it was completely dead. No "click" or anything. none of the power options work at all. I checked the connections at the battery and they were tight. I tried a volt meter and got a reading of .48. Normally eveything works on this car except the drivers side seat heater.
Prior to me purchasing this car it was owned by a gentelman in his 90's so it wasn't driven much. The battery shows it was new in 2013.
Is this simply a bad battery or before I buy a new one, is there something else I should look at?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
If you can jump start it with another car, then new battery may be in your future.
-ALF out...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car started when we hooked it up to another car. That's when I noticed that i left the interior lights on!?!?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Dead Battery

Same thing happened to my '91 Caprice about a month ago. Dome light left on. 6 year old battery (Will be in April).

Hooked up the charger, noticed the dome light. Still starts and runs fine, but I know a new battery is in the near future.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Do this once or twice while the battery is new ... no worries. Best way to charge a battery when that happens (totally zero dead) is to use a smaller 2-4 Amp charger and let it charge overnight. The alternator (though it has a current limiter) can really dump a lot of current into a totally dead battery. This can overheat the plates and warp them.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Charger

The charger I used showed 2-3 amps on the meter, and took most of the day to charger.

I didn't want to use my wife's new car to jump start, and I wasn't going to ask anyone. Being retired gives us the option to take our time. Didn't need my car immediately.

·
Registered
331 Posts
A fully charged car battery has somewhere between 25 and 40 Amp-hours of "capacity" in it. That's not to be confused with the cold cranking amps (CCA). As such, at 2-4 amps of charging current, it would indeed take about a day to fully charge it. Yep.

·
Registered
32 Posts
some time ago my adult daughter and her two kids (age 7 and 9) moved in with us. My SS is my prime time daily driver, and the kids often come along where ever I go. Don't you know the little ones have to touch anything they see and on more than one occasion switched on the back interior light. Being daylight I never noticed it . . .until - click

nothing!

KIDS :surprise:

solved the problem by purchasing a minivan and banning the little ones from SS transport!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts