Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only use the car.. maybe once a month. Not even. Batteries don't seem to like low usage. Sears Diehard Gold are no longer worth the money. They must of switched suppliers. What is a good brand for low usage, that fits the OEM mounting? Must be 100% OEM replacement, same cables, and position. Any favorite brands out there ?

·
Registered
8,128 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
My personal experience is to ignore CCA (cold cranking amps). I look for batteries with high"reserve capacity" or Amp/hours. These are two different rating. What I find is batteries that can run the longest without the alternator are the batteries that last the most years.

The second issue is a lead acid battery on a shelf will lose 5% of it's charge every month. When connected to a car the PCM, audio system, alarm, and/or remote start all drain a battery. I use solar cells, battery tenders, or just a old charger every two weeks. A fully charged (not overcharged) lead acid battery seems to have a longer life span.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I like battery disconnects but if your limited usage car is subject to "smog test" it can be a bad choice. This forum and others are full of owners that have disconnected the battery and are unable to get the "driving cycle" correct to set the flags that the smog tester has to see before a inspection. Even if you do not get tested it is still a issue. Whenever the LT1 PCM is disconnected it will default to factory settings. Alot of modern cars record "key cycles" and a smart mechanic will ask why the number is very low before diagnosing a problem. So if you do not have a very new stock motor most of your once a month drive will be at reduced performance as the PCM "relearns" optimum settings. Even cars that have flashed a new custom tune to the PCM will make adjustments as the car is driven. This is why I recommend leaving the battery connected to PCM type engines.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I only use the car.. maybe once a month. Not even. Batteries don't seem to like low usage. Sears Diehard Gold are no longer worth the money. They must of switched suppliers. What is a good brand for low usage, that fits the OEM mounting? Must be 100% OEM replacement, same cables, and position. Any favorite brands out there ?
"Batteries don't seem to like low usage "

Right you are.

Buy a smart battery maintainer/charger. A small 1 amp type is enough. No battery will withstand the conditions you subject it to without it. However AGM are better.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Love my Odyssey,but they're not inexpensive. Any high end charger/maintainer should work w/AGM batteries.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Is this new? I never heard of them before?
IDK how old the company is but Odyssey is a quality brand.

I know people hate optima these days but that's what I use on my Impala. I can't keep a charger on it all the time so I usually just charge it once every two weeks. I use a standard red top. Though, I have been thinking of going for a deep cycle yellow top when this one eventually dies. I've heard that keeping them on a charger constantly is worse than anything. The red top I had in my Corvette lasted only 3-4 years doing just that. But...anyway, they still have a 3 year no questions asked warranty. The only real problem I've ever had with the brand was that I bought one off the shelf at autozone and didn't check the date sticker. It was 3 years old when I bought it, and subsequently failed in a couple of months. But the replacement has been fine for 2 years now. And sometimes during the winter I can't get the charger on the car so the battery gets completely drained. To the point that the power door locks won't work.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Over the decades I have always had a daily driver and one or two infrequent drivers. My batteries usually get changed out at seven years. I am lucky there is a very good local lead acid battery distributor. They always do a free load test and alternator check and usually suggest that I should get another year out of the seven year old one. They always seem surprised when they check the date sticker. I have never heard a bad word about this local company. Most "maintenance free" liquid plate batteries can be opened to check fluid levels AFTER the warranty expires.

I stick to the wet plate batteries as they seem more economical than the AGM for me. I pay more than box store prices but I feel I get what I pay for, trouble free driving.

New cables with clean connections(positive and negative) really are worth the work, along with inspection and testing of the alternator so it does not damage the battery or electrical system.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Hands down northstar I had one that was over 12 years old in my truck when I sold it. They are very high quality batteries but they are not cheap and weight a ton.

Batteries plus X2 line of battery is made by northstar and that is what I just installed in my impala.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought my '94 new. I had the same problem for years. I found out it was a bad positive cable on the battery. No more problem. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
bought my '94 new. I had the same problem for years. I found out it was a bad positive cable on the battery. No more problem. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Get yourself an Interstate battery & a Deltran Battery Tender. I have them in all my cars & haven't had a problem yet!

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't run my Impala very much either and have used just about every brand and type of battery there is in cars, trucks, and lawn equipment. I have found that the best batteries will suffer when not charged for extended periods and need a desulfator battery charger, like smart chargers. Noco makes a good 1 amp inexpensive Genius G750 smart charger. From my experience, Optima yellow top and Odyssey seem to do best for extended intervals between charging, but best to use a smart charger every several weeks. Hot climates are hard on high amp lead acid batteries because more plates means less fluid to help with cooling and low amp batteries have to work harder in cold climates. With that said, I would stick with absorbent glass mat batteries, such as Optima and Odyssey brands. Won't have to worry about corrosion with those either. Hope this info will help anyone trying to decide what battery to get.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The last several batteries I've bought have been from Batteries Plus. Duracell brand made by East Penn. I think Sam's sells them also. I've been happy with them. My Roadmaster wagon has a 3.5 yr old model in it that is still working good. I just replaced a 5.5 yr old one in my Suburban. The Suburban has been stored at times and 2 times something happened where it ended up at 10.5 volts due to something being left on. That happened in the first 1-2 yrs of that battery and it still lasted 5.5 years. It was actually still working at that age, but I decided to replace it due to its history and that we are using it in the winter last year and this year. It was also an AGM model with a 4yr warranty. The rest I bought have been Ultra Gold's with a 3 yr free replacement warranty. They also sell a cheaper Ultra model with a 2yr warranty. I put one in my mother in law's Suburban a few months ago and just bought one for my Cruze as well. Hopefully they work well for me going forward.

My Suburban still sees weeks of non-use at times. I keep a Battery Tender Jr. on it most of the time so it stays fully charged, I don't want to damage it with letting it get low like I did a few years back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello Wishin, good idea using a battery tender. Make sure it is a smart charger when charging an AGM battery. Don't need to keep it on a charger all the time. Maybe once a week overnight would be enough. Always loved those type batteries and never had to worry about terminal corrosion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts