Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to buy some BBK shorty headers and would like to replace the CATs at the same time. So one does anyone have any recommendations on CATs? And two I was thinking about going with Magna flow Direct fit CATs but I’m not sure what length to buy, as well as it says OBD2 and I have a 95’. Will anyone one help me with some options? But FYI I’m definitely going with the BBK headers.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I know you said you are definitely going with BBK headers, but...
after you buy new cats and get them welded on, your going to end up spending as much as
a new set of Tri Ys & cats from Stansheaders that are a complete bolt on.

Nab

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’m looking to buy some BBK shorty headers and would like to replace the CATs at the same time. So one does anyone have any recommendations on CATs? And two I was thinking about going with Magna flow Direct fit CATs but I’m not sure what length to buy, as well as it says OBD2 and I have a 95’. Will anyone one help me with some options? But FYI I’m definitely going with the BBK headers.
Hey bud, I have the BBK's on my car - bought because they were cheap and I had liked BBK stuff customers had brought for install, but I wouldn't do it again - pics attached of headers hitting the frame. Customer "service" told me it was saggy motor mounts or something else wrong with my car (cherry car, new poly motor mounts, no damage, etc), wouldn't do anything for me, Jegs had my back and sent me a new set, those hit the frame too. After 2 weeks of this BS and taking the bus to work, I did what I swore I'd never do and notch'd the frame.

If you are dead set on it, here's the method and three tips (skipping exhaust manifold removal).

Headers come with slip pipes that are supposed to clamp to stock catalytic converters, instructions tell you to cut down cats. My cats were OEM and slip pipes were nowhere close to being the correct angle, so I had to cut the cats WAYYYY down and slide the poorly-fitting pipes on and then FILL the gaps with an obscene amount of weld to get them to seal. I made it work, but depending on your skill level, equipment and time you may consider shipping this to an exhaust shop. Cut it too short and you need a new cat.

Some time after install, I moved to NC which has epic emissions inspection, which I failed. I had to install new converters, so I got the chance to do the job again. I cut off old converters, carefully preserving the POS slip pipes and did the job all over. Attached pic of what new/old one looked like. BOSAL 0795081 for the right and EASTERN CATALYTIC 50217 for the left. I love Bosal but hate eastern catalytic, but that's all RockAuto had at the time and it's my daily so I needed it back up and running. Right now I'd go for WALKER 53233 instead of eastern catalytic if you want to go direct-fit. Total price $320, see the discount thread for rockauto 5% coupon.

So if you want to use direct-fit exhaust parts on the car, you'll have to do the cutting/welding - the clearance is unbelievably tight, the o2's need to angle correctly, subframe is right there, header-frame clearance is an issue... man it was a shyte job. An exhaust shop will likely have an easier time of it, but you will pay.

Hit me if you need more info, but I found it a challenge and I've been in business 12 years...

Unsolicited advice:

1. You will need to ding the header tubes near the flange to allow space to tighten the bolts once it is installed. I will tell you that the drivers side is the tougher side, make sure you have boatloads of space between the bolt and header tube to slip a wrench in. If you slack on this you will be salty when it comes to tighten after a few heat cycles - you just can't get a wrench on some of them.

2. Do not use their gasket, it lasted me about a month before needing replacement. I have installed dozens of headers in tougher cars, I have a method that works, and I never have this problem with good gaskets.

3. Do not use their header bolts, even with loctite and putting some serious stank on them, they loosen. I hate paying $$$ for header bolts, but I ended up with the Mr. Gasket ones with the serrated edges ($30) and they are holding.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
If you do decide to Change your mind on your Header selection...I have a set of Hooker Super Comps (Jet Hot Coated) along with the Magna-Flow Hi Flow Cats that I will be selling at some point. They are also C.A.R.B. compliant and have the number on the header if Emissions is a concern. These are currently on my car now til I switch over to some Tri-y's.

I can assure you these things fit and are a direct Bolt-on between the Head to the Cat-back, you wont have any issues and these also use all the OEM hookups with no pipes to splice in and truly a Bolt-on that I did in my driveway. Let me know if you are interested and we can talk timing and get you some pics. Would probably do $250 for the headers and another $100 for both Cats.

As far as the Cats saying they are ODB2, that won't be a problem on your 95 with just 2 O2 Sensors. You just Plug off the unused Ports on the Bungs that aren't used with a Bolt and think HELP actually sells them for this purpose.

·
Premium Member
20,294 Posts

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
I’ll go with that deal
I'll keep you n mind when I pull these off for my Tri-Y's. Not sure of your timing for these as I may not be ready to do this til Spring/summer timeframe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts