Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just talked to Mitch Drouillard at Be Cool about making some radiators that will be a drop in fit the 94-96 Impala SS. The only thing you should have to do is cut the upper and lower rubber supports to accomidate it because it will be a thicker dual core design. I've talked to some SS owners and found out that the ones Be Cool lists on their site are not exact replacements. For one, the fan mounts are incorrect. As it turns out, they are about a 1/2" off from stock. Mitch stated he would be willing to correct this. The other problem is the tranny/oil cooler tank connections. The Be Cool connections are samller than the stock 5/8" inverted flare connections on the SS. Mitch said adaptors would be provided with the new radiator so the stock hoses could be used.

The cost has not been finalized, but it will be in the $500 range for this one with the tranny cooler only:
62065 Detail

And $600 range for the engine oil & tranny cooler design:
66065 Detail

Now I know this might be a sore subject for some of you, but I personally am still looking for a better radiator that will work with my stock fans and allow me to ditch the external coolers I'm running for my engine oil & tranny fluid. I'd also like to do this now so I don't have to worry about overheating come summer time. The plan is to get this order together by the end January and all will be shipped from Be Cool in Essexville, Michigan with the cost of shipping possibly being thrown in if we get 15 orders total (both styles combined).

p.s. If you don't want one or don't like it, please keep your comments to yourself. :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by 4dr LT4:
You can get pn# 62065 from PAW for 525.00 in three working days...I know, I have one.
Yeah, but you had 1 of 2 things happen:

1) You had to modify or reposition the fan brackets; which means it wasn't a direct replacement. :mad:
or
2) Your not using your stock fans at all; which means more $ for new fans. :eek:
But I'll see about getting the price down some more. ;)

Ram Air 9C1, the 60065 will be included. Still waiting on a price quote, but it'll probably be around $375-$425.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Kamchief1:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 4dr LT4:
You can get pn# 62065 from PAW for 525.00 in three working days...I know, I have one.
Yeah, but you had 1 of 2 things happen:

1) You had to modify or reposition the fan brackets; which means it wasn't a direct replacement. :mad:
or
2) Your not using your stock fans at all; which means more $ for new fans. :eek:
But I'll see about getting the price down some more. ;)

Ram Air 9C1, the 60065 will be included. Still waiting on a price quote, but it'll probably be around $375-$425.
</font>[/QUOTE]All that was done was to dremel out a little bit of material in ONE of the fan brackets...and that was it. Piece of cake. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Fit is perfect. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by SSoMad:
Will the RAISS work with the BeCool if you are running stock fans?

Rich
Rich,

I replied to your other post, but I was also running stock fans with the RAISS/BeCool combo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just dropped in the BeCool for 9C1's (no engine oil cooler) that I got from Summit. I think it is the #60065. Summit sent a wrong one at first, but instantly sent the right one, and I only lost 2 days on that. It took a little fabricating and the trans cooler adapters that BeCool lists and sells (and I paid for) are the wrong ones, but it seems to be working fine. My fans did bolt right up, although it took some serious finger work on the 10mm fan bolts to get them in place on the side tank mounts with the radiator on the car, but the stock fans do fit. And yes, the rubber biscuits that hold the radiator need to be cut up, but it was all a lot easier than swapping a stock radiator out on one of my old 70's Vettes. So far, I have yet to see the secondary fan even come on with this radiator, although I of course waited until the weather cooled before I installed it. So far I'm happy (2.5 months) but I'm waiting for one of those 105 degree L.A. days for a real test. But it seems like a pretty H.D. piece, with good workmanship. Don't know how it compares to the Griffin.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just talked to Mitch Drouillard at Be Cool about making some radiators....The other problem is the tranny/oil cooler tank connections. The Be Cool connections are smaller than the stock 5/8" inverted flare connections on the SS. Mitch said adaptors would be provided with the new radiator so the stock hoses could be used.
Is there a legit reason for not getting/having radiators incorporate the correct 5/8" fitting in tank, to forego use of adaptors?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just talked to Mitch Drouillard at Be Cool about making some radiators....
Is it possible, through your communications, or lack thereof, that the two of you were not on the same page, regarding the trans cooler connections on side tank? If you stated the size as 5/8", which is actual size of thread, and Mitch was stating 3/8", referring correctly, to actual tube size, maybe there is not an issue, afterall. Unless of course, you have actually seen, or actually know the fitting specs. Just a thot.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gary,

Memory tells me that there is indeed a fitment issue, and that the OEM tranny cooler lines will not bolt up as delivered.

In the end, we managed. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bob, just strikes me odd, that an undersized fitting would be incorporated in side tank, of a big replacement radiator. Not like this is a radiator for an old 4 cyl. vega here. Wouldn't the 3/8" tubing fitting, be pretty much...standard? Any fittings/adapters necessary, to adapt up to the correct size, will restrict flow, as compared to oem. This would not even be addressing the actual tube I.D. size, inside tank.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by TAKN2XSS:
Is it possible, through your communications, or lack thereof, that the two of you were not on the same page
No, because Mitch knew exactly what I was talking about. He stated "couldn't" or "wouldn't" install the correct ones. Why you ask? I have no friggin idea. He also stated he could not "compete" with venders like Summit and PAW.

Because of this and the lack of insterest in pursuing this, I'm dropping this GP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.