Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has the P/N's? The sticky is no good now

I know the Springs are 26918-16 and the retainers are 787-16 I believe

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Are those the parts for the stock iron heads?

·
Registered
678 Posts
26915 and 26918 beehives will both physically fit the stock lt1 heads. The 26918 is the more severe of the two springs, and more than needed for many applications. The 787-16 is a good number for the retainers, but be aware that it will lower the installed height of the spring from the 1.8" it is rated at to ~1.75" There is another part number for a retainer that doesn't lower the installed height.

Since the beehive thread is dead, I'll add that I am and others are running yellow ls2/6 valve springs with the 787 retainers for a poor man's beehive setup. I've got over 15k on mine, 10k with 1.6 rockers, and so far they are doing just fine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
26915 and 26918 beehives will both physically fit the stock lt1 heads. The 26918 is the more severe of the two springs, and more than needed for many applications. The 787-16 is a good number for the retainers, but be aware that it will lower the installed height of the spring from the 1.8" it is rated at to ~1.75" There is another part number for a retainer that doesn't lower the installed height.

Since the beehive thread is dead, I'll add that I am and others are running yellow ls2/6 valve springs with the 787 retainers for a poor man's beehive setup. I've got over 15k on mine, 10k with 1.6 rockers, and so far they are doing just fine.

I'll take it that the 787's still lower the install height with the yellow springs? Did you use different push rods or are the stock one's still viable? What can the yellow springs be picked up for? Thanks and sorry for steeling the thread.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
great...does anyone have part numbers for the LS springs and also specific info for ALUM heads

new sticky?

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is the setup I am about to install on my car. The part # for the LS2 valve spring set is 12499224. Current price from GMpartsdirect is $54.08 for the set.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and they will work on ALUM heads? with 787's and what locks?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I THINK you'll also need 4705-16 locaters for the AL heads. I'm looking at AL heads for the engine I'm building, and have been doing a little reading, but I'm not coming from a place of experience with them. You might have better luck with AL specific info at one of the camaro/lt1 forums. Most of them also haven't recently lost all the old data on the site either, like this one has.

I'm using stock locks to hold the springs and retainers in on my iron head lt1.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok so 26918, 787, and 4705 beautiful...is that all that is needed?

·
Registered
414 Posts
ok so 26918, 787, and 4705 beautiful...is that all that is needed?
^^^^ need that answer and

how much gain can be seen from this??

And is this good for stock iron heads too?

·
Registered
678 Posts
how much gain can be seen from this??

And is this good for stock iron heads too?
On a high mileage engine, new valve springs will restore lost HP from tired old springs, but won't really GAIN you anything. Pair up new valve springs with 1.6 rockers and you can expect 10-20 HP, most of it on the top end.

You won't need the locators, but yes this by all accounts an effective mod on the Iron head LT1

·
Registered
22 Posts
Comp Cams #26915 Beehive Valve springs with #795 light weight retainers and #611
10 degree locks are what I used and am very happy with the results for a stock cam
and heads
hey i am interested in this settup. does it change the installed height and are there any disadvantages? i read this in another forum. "so did you use a Comp 787-16 for std Valves with a 7 degree lock or did you use a 795-16 with 10 degree locks(this will decrease your installed height btw)"

Thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm close to buying the LS6 springs as well and all I need is the 787 retainers and that's it? direct swap? no other issues?
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.