Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
The LS6 springs, Comp 787-16 retainers and 648-16 locks (or stock locks) will work for a budget set up on a stock cam and 1.6 rocker upgrade. Stock spring locators will worklk (on alu heads). Set up @ 1.750-1.730, these will work fine on a stock cam.

If using a cam and I would get the Comp 26918-16 or PAC 1218 bee hive springs (if you are set on a bee hive set up) and the same parts mentioned above. Set these up at 1.750" and you will have 145 lbs of seeat pressure and handle most moderate ramp speed cams with less than .590 lift (CC 306, GM 847, etc) although more than a few people have had problems with these and the XFI lobes.

An inexpensive set up instead of going with the bee hives would be . . .

Bullet VS 574 springs for the LS6 spring replacement. these are a simngle spring that has more seat and open pressure while working with even small cams up to .540 lift with slower ramp speeds (CC 501, CC 304, etc). They work with stock retainers, locks and locators. Just swap springs and go. These are about $70 shipped thru Bullet Racing cams.

The Bullet VS 2700 is a NICE single spring that works wityh stock retainers, locks and locators. It has 145 lbs of seat pressure and 360 lbs open pressure while handling cams with moderate ramp speeds up to .575 lift safely (GM 846, CC 503, CC 306, my 226/230 .565/.565 111 LSA cam, etc). These are made of a nice quality wire and will live a long time. probably one of the nicest single 'drop in" springs for the LT1. These are $130 shipped thru Bullet Racing cams.

Patriot Gold extreme springs are what I consider the best set up for the $$$. $265 shipped for a small dia dbl springs, Ti retainers, super 7 locks, locators and seals. They have 155 lbs on the seat, 380 lbs open and can handle well over .600 lift with no problems. If you get tired of buying beehives, get these. they will work GREAT and I use them when ever I can. I use these with my 238/242 .612/.612 111 LSA cams for 6800 RPM strokers with no problems.

There is not 1 best choice for everyone and it depends on there future mods, budget, etc as to what spring will be the best choice for them but I would chose the Bullet VS 2700's or patriot Gold Extremes over anything else for the $$$.

Lloyd Elliott

·
Registered
190 Posts
/\ /\ Thanks LLOYD ELLIOT! I think i will probably go with the Bullet VS574 springs. They have better seat load and open load than the CC 918's! I thought the LS6 springs were a happy medium between price and better springs, but the bullets are even cheaper than those! How long will these springs last compared to the VS2700's?

I know i should do 1.6 RR's at the same time but i'm impatient and it will happen at a different paycheck. I really just want a little more top end power. My car really feels like a slug at high RPM's.

Hopefully someday i will have the bucks to get a heads/cam package from you Lloyd!

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm close to buying the LS6 springs as well and all I need is the 787 retainers and that's it? direct swap? no other issues?
Thanks!
Yes. I know you said you're going with the Bullet 574 springs recommended by LE, but i thought I ought to reply anyway.

The cammed motor I'm building will more than likely sport the VS 2700. I saw LE recommend them on an F-body forum a couple weeks ago and added them to the parts list.

·
Registered
71 Posts
if comparing spring pressures, the Bullet VS 574 (set up @ 1.780 - 115 lbs seat) is slightly weeker than the 918's (set up @ 1.750 - 145 lbs seat) but the bee hive is a better spring than the VS 574. The VS 574 is just alot less $$$ and will work fine with stock cams and 1.6 rockers or a BABY cam like the ones mentioned.

The VS 2700 is more comparable to the bee hive as far as spring pressure, etc. I would consider them a toss up between the 2 on lobes up to .575 lift with moderate ramp speed and would not bat an eye abourt using the VS 2700's instead of bee hives but I do not like XFI lobes on either one. If using anything larger than .530 lift and over 218 intake duration, I would go with the VS 2700 over the VS 574.

Even on a stock cam with 1.6 rockers, if you are not just completely starpped for cash, spend the extra $$$ and get the VS 2700's instead.

One thing you people need to afigure in is that you CAN reuse stock retaienrs, locks, locators, etc with these Bullet springs where the bee hives will need need more $$$ spent opn these parts making them alot more $$$ in the end.

Lloyd

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
There are 2 retainer p/n in this thread. Just to be 100% sure, with stock IRON heads and beehive (26918 and 26915) valvesprings, do we use the 787 or 795 retainers, and with which can we reuse the stock locks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
With stock iron heads and comp 26918 or 26915 or ls2/6 behive springs you can use 787-16 retainers with the stock 7 degree locks or 648-16 locks. If you use the 795-16 10 degree retainers you will need the 611-16 10 degree locks.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.