Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. We all know the AIM spindels are garbage. So I started looking into other brands. My first thought was Bell Tech. I found some random site that sells them and has a copy of there catalog on there site. God knows what year it's from but I found the part number, 2105. My question is, 1. has anyone used them? 2. There is a code next to the part discription in the catalog. The code says that stock Impala wheels can not be used. I found another site that says the stock tiers can't be used. You need smaller ones. I have 15" rims, same bolt pattern, same brakes. 3. Price. 4. Can anyone recomend another brand. Thanks. All input is greatly appreciated.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bell Tech's are a lot better quality than the AIM ones. You can use the stock 17" SS rims, contrary to popular belief. Not sure about if you can use 15" rims with them though. If your pockets are really deep, you can even put the monster Porsche brakes from Heinz on there if I remember right (with 17" rims).

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Belltech spindles on my 96 SS.

With Stock rims and tires, the tires rubbed on the outside inner fender, about where the top bolt on the fenderwell is.

With 17x8 5"bs Centerlines, stock tires, I have had no rubbing.

Terry Fiene (sp?) has Belltech spindles on his car, with 15" rims.

Summit Racing has Belltech spindles for $299.

I've had them on my car since '96.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the story about the wheels moving out a little is true? Thanks guys that helps a lot.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by threeimpalas:
You can use the stock 17" SS rims, contrary to popular belief.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does tire size matter?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill,

What color is your car? That thing looks sweet! Is there a purple sprayed over the black? I see the stripes but the glare off the car looks purple as well. Very cool though.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a price quote yesterday on the spindals. $350!!! :eek:
. Can anyone recomend a beter place to get them? Thanks for all your help.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does it matter what springs you have with the Bell tech? Will 18 inch with 275/40 am I going to rub? :confused:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dropped spindles combined with lowering springs will make the car that much lower. I did this on my truck to drop it 7".

I have stock springs with my Belltech spindles. I have 17x8 Centerlines with 5" backspace with no rubbing (except at full lock). 255/50-17's

I DID have rubbing with stock 17x8.5 rims and 255/50-17's, in the outer upper fenderwell, over moderate bumps.

275/40-18's are 7/10" shorter then 255/50-17's, but wider.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does the impala drop spinle adapt to the 91-93 caprices as well? Or are they different? :confused:

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
scrapyard,

that's the original DCM color. The stripes
are a color my painter put together. I didnt like them at first..but they grow on you.

web page
click garage, then 96'ss

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It wouldn't matter what size tire you put on the 17" rim. The stock 255/50 is about the tallest you'd ever use, so anything shorter would have less clearence problems.

The spindles can be used on the 91-93 cars.

The rubbing is probably due to the fact it drops the car 2" lower than stock height. The 255/50 tires I've got on the wagon will rub in the inner fender panels when I have the bags (stock spindles) set at a similar ride height.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm new here, so can you guys fill me in as to why the AIM spindles are junk? Just curious. Thanks!

Rahn
93 Caprice Wagon

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haulin' Wood:
I'm new here, so can you guys fill me in as to why the AIM spindles are junk? Just curious. Thanks!

Rahn
93 Caprice Wagon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone ordered a pair and the hole that the balljoint went into was off center... A LOT. I think there is a problem with brake disk clearence as well. Not posotive though. Some People who have AIM spindal have had better luck but there has been more then one instance were there was somethine signifagantly wrong with them. That and their customer was not very helpful when the problem was found.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts