Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using Bell Tech springs under their b-body? I am looking at 2 different part numbers to lower my '96 Roadmaster. Bell Tech P.N. 5102 which has an advertised drop of 2" front and rear for Caprice or Impala and 5830
which has an advertised drop of 1.5" front and 2.25" rear.
First, how can a single P.N. drop a Caprice or an Impala the same amount? Isn't the Impala SS already 1" lower than a standard Caprice?
Second, my Roadmaster sits just as high in the front as my wife's tow package Caprice. I know the fenders are different so I am measuring from the bump stop on the front lower control arm to the frame. The front needs to come down 2" for sure but that's 2" from where it sits now. Not 2" from an Impala SS ride hight which I belive would be 3" from where the Roadmaster sits.
Does anyone have experience with the Bell Tech kits? I spoke with one of their tech's but he didn't seem to understand the question or that these cars have the same chassis.

·
Registered
11,032 Posts
I do not have Belltech springs, but I would go with the 2/2 inch parts. You will get about 2 inches of actual drop on the Roadmaster. The cars do not look good with the rear sitting lower than the front. The measurement for "drop" purposes is measured from the wheel opening to the top of the rim before and after springs are added. You do not see the full travel at the bump stop. When you are done installing the new springs, there are a few things you need to address. When you need to change a rear tire, or just jack the rear for any reason, the springs will fall out of the rear if you do not weld a 3 to 4 inch piece of exhaust tubing to the upper spring perch. It is also advisable to tiewrap the springs to the lower spring perch to keep them from misaligning. In the front, for every 1/2 inch of measured drop, you must remove 0.030 inches of shims from both the front and rear upper arm stacks, to compensate for negative camber. If you do not remove the shims, you will experience extreme uneven tire wear on the inside of the tires. You should also check you toe, although it should not change much, if at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts