Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it make sense to replace just the bearing inside the pulley? If someone have done that, any part number? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
The 15 year old spring would seem to me to be a maint. item too. For my money and time just replace the thing.

But FWIW I never would have said that 30 years ago though. ;)

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
forget that idea.....

i tried the 29.00 plastic pulley wheel jobby and well lets just say you get what you pay for.
goto NAPA and get the OEM one with the METAL pulley wheel. it's about 50.00 but will last the amount of time one of those things is supposed to last..... YMMV
-ALF out..

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
you guys are too funny. the part number is in the sticky.... first thread of this section.

heres your free-bee

-ALF out....

·
Registered
586 Posts
Does it make sense to replace just the bearing inside the pulley? If someone have done that, any part number? Thanks!
Only if you have less than a few years on the assembly. As others have indicated, it's usually the tensioner spring that gives up first on the OEM part, so if you have an original tensioner assembly, you're probably money ahead by replacing the whole thing.

I replaced the one on our 9C1 after hearing it go crunch and then flop around when I replaced the belt a couple of years ago. The bearing started making noise several months ago, so I replaced the whole assembly _again_. I plan to replace the bearing in the one I removed, though, and holding it as a spare. I need spares. ;-)

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the information, gents. I meant part number for the bearing. The noise goes away immediately when I spray some WD-40 on the bearing area. Took off the pulley, looks good, th ebearing (6203) does not make noise when turned by hand. Put it back. The spring is strong. Probably will replace the whole assembly.

·
Registered
586 Posts
That's exactly what I'd do. If you don't have a spare, get a new assembly and put it on the car. Then, when you have time, replace the bearing. You'll be wanting that spare some day.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
"NAPA part number for the bearing, 6203-2RSJ or TIMKEN Part # 203FF"

The bearing inside the original pulley is made by NTN, and the part number is 6203LU.

Is this a right bearing?

What is "J" for in 6203-2RSJ? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: Replaced the bearing but the squeak is still there. What the hell is squeaking now? :)

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts
remove the belt and then individually spin all of the pulleys to see what is squeaking. Or, your tensioner isn't tight enough to keep the belt from slipping.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
remove the belt and then individually spin all of the pulleys to see what is squeaking. Or, your tensioner isn't tight enough to keep the belt from slipping.
Thank you for the reply. Spinning all the pulleys did not point to the culprit. I will replace the belt, and if the problem is still there, will replace the whole thing - the tensioner. The bearing was only $4 shipped.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ever track down that noise? I have one and am ready to replace the tensioner too. May seem weird, but I took a trick from an old mechanic to pin point noises...used an old peice of tubing held to my ear to ID the offending pully. Point one end of the tubing to your ear, the other at the suspects.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
had a chirping/squeling sound coming from the front end of the engine. Did a little research and found that the belts can squeak too. replaced the belt with a Good Year Gator back with Quiet technology and it fixed the issue. Found it online for $16 or so delivered. If you replace the belt get the GY unit.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ever track down that noise? I have one and am ready to replace the tensioner too. May seem weird, but I took a trick from an old mechanic to pin point noises...used an old peice of tubing held to my ear to ID the offending pully. Point one end of the tubing to your ear, the other at the suspects.
Replacing tensioner bearing did not help. Replaced the tensioner and the noise is gone. The tensioner I have replaced was not an original one either. It's my impression that an average LT1 goes through several belt tensioners during its lifespan. 95,000 miles and at least the third belt tensioner in my case.

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
hmm, didnt see this thread before but I will mention alot of times the squeaking comes from the tensioner arm's pivot point and not the pulley.
Ive seen them on high mileage diesels wear to the point where the pulley is not aligned straight anymore and it'll cause the belt to jump a groove.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
::spock:: Fascinating. Thanks -pogo.

I've got an intermittent squeak with the 2nd tensioner on my 60,XXX SS. I'm gonna shoot some chain lube onto the pivot - and see.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts