Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am getting ready to drop some 3.73's in, and I hear that now would be a good time to buy an eaton and drop it in as well. Can someone explain the benfits of the Eaton Posi over the stock system? Does it just make sense to do it now to save on install costs later? Is there a performance gain, or does it just make the car's rearend stronger? Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Thanks

Joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
all thoughs things, its stronger, now is the best time if your about to do gears.

One wheeled burnouts are LAIM!!!!
Do you want to be laim?
the stock auburn posi is a weak POS...
My stock posi is gone, I dont like it at all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It definitely makes sense (if your budget can afford it) to do the posi swap at the same time as the gear swap.

The Eaton has several advantages over stock:
  1. <LI>Locks harder<LI>Rebuildable (stock is not)<LI>Beefier Carrier bearings<LI>Cost-effective compared to a stock posi (from GM)<LI>More durable

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mn mark:
One wheeled burnouts are LAIM!!!!
Do you want to be laim?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I absolutely agree with you Mark, one wheel burnouts are lame. I've got to get a new posi myself, as my current stock one is toast :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joe, I'm planning to do the same. Put in the gears with a brand new (eaton) posi. Maybe even new axles if the stock ones are chewed up. Are you also planning to switch to a higher stall tourqe converter? It might be a good idea.

To the guys who have fried their posi, how do you toast it? Lack of fluid? Abuse?

I've done NUMEROUS burnouts and doughnuts and mine is still strong as ever.
My dad's posi is just about shot though. The axles only have 3/4 contact with the spider gears. The other 1/4 they doesn't even touch. How that happened, I have no idea. Still runs though..

About not beign able to rebuild a stock posi, why? It wouldn't make sense in rebuilding it since the spider gears and the other parts for the posi cost as much as a brand new unit. But I believe it is possible to rebuild it. (even though I have never tried it)

[ 08-21-2002: Message edited by: CalipSSo ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the stock Auburn in my car, and it checks out on the high end of the FSM specs, but it will still roast an inside tire coming out of a tight corner.

It will be a while, but I'll be putting a Torsen in someday...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CalipSSo : the stock posi works by wearing the clutches not against other friction surfaces (which would be rebuildable/replacable), but against the side of the posi case itself! A really stupid (albeit cheap, which is why GM went with it) design.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses guys.

CalipSSo

I actually already have the Higer Stall TQ. The gears just seem like the next mod to do in my list. :D Figured since I am getting the gears done, I may try this Posi thing as well. Money is in issue though. I need to lay a patch soon to see how the stock Posi Unit is doing. :cool: I believe it is still in good working condition as I rarely do burnouts or abuse the car!

Joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Canadian differential shop, I.W.E. said they installed the strongest parts available for the Caprice. Eaton, GM gears, Timken bearings, etc... Mike of No Limits Motorsports is king of the hill for obtaining these parts at a great price. Another thing about I.W.E. they treated me really NICE and their shop was in constant action. They are a happy bunch of workers and looked like a race team building a race car or working in pit row at Daytona. The owner Ian, answers the phone and then goes back into the shop to get more grease on his hands & provide quality control. He is also a race driver, currently racing Volvos and his shop sponsors a Mustang race car.

Anyway, I can tell the car now has much better handling & traction; it is gripping so well that the springs & sway bars cannot keep up and should be upgraded too... George
I.W.E.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.