Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm in the process of building an LT1 for a project of mine, and during disassembly I found that the #6 and #8 rods are slightly bent.

I'm not sure why they're bent, the rest of the engine looks perfect, the bearings, cylinders, ect. Although the rings on #6 and #8 are slightly more worn.

Anywho, can I just remove the rods from the LT1 pistons, and install ones from the 78' 305 I have out of the project car?

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Slightly bent is when checking the rod to piston alignment shows something.
Those are more like BENT .
Typically there is a tide line ( or the classic rammit ) associated with rods like that!

Can't comment on rod weight. Early LT1 ? Forged Rods , not from a B car?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Early rods from a 95' T/A.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's a "tide line"?

·
Premium Member
20,367 Posts
Anywho, can I just remove the rods from the LT1 pistons, and install ones from the 78' 305 I have out of the project car?
Sure.....if they're the same weight and the same length.

KW

·
Registered
665 Posts
Do you need some stock rods? I have some with pistons that I am willing to part with.
I have 6 that are complete
2 are missing the rod cap and one piston looks new.
I believe that these are stock LT1 pistons and rods from a f-body. I would need to take measurements make sure.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Looks like these are stock LT1 pistons. Mahle 101ST7

The rods do not have any markings or identifiers, so I am assuming the rods are stock as well.

Please let me know if you are interested.
Michael

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem solved, I just got some more pistons/ rods. Someone on the Ebay is selling a bunch of LT1 pistons and rods, so I got a #6 and #8 to replace my bent one. They look exactly the same ( but not bent) as the ones they're replacing.
Body jewelry Material property Silver Jewellery Gas
Household hardware Gas Nickel Nut Metal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts