Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I want to purchase an aftermarket CD unit for the BeaSSt. I want it to be 1.5 DIN. Any opinions on what's the best, and where I can find it for sale? TIA

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pioneer DEH-P77DH. IMO that's the best looking of maybe the 4 options out there. Go to www.ikesound.com for anything audio related. They seem to be the least expensive. On top of that, i believe they have free shipping

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alpine makes great 1.5 DIN decks with all the options. I think the part number for mine is CDA-587 or something. Bought mine on ebay new for super cheap.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LATimeSS:
Alpine makes great 1.5 DIN decks with all the options. I think the part number for mine is CDA-587 or something. Bought mine on ebay new for super cheap.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alpine does not produce them anymore, so if you find one, get it.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same alpine radio, its bad ass and easy to figure out how to use, now if I could just get people to stop putting their greasy fingers on the face, I'd be set

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They don't make that anymore?!?!? Damn. I think i'd rather have that than the Pioneer

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have it too!!

I love it, it looks really cool at night too!

Troy

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can anyone explain the difference between the 852 and the 857??

Eric

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree, the Alpine units were (are) a good choice in the 1.5 din size. The only drawback is that they do not have satellite radio capability built in, like the newer Pioneer, etc. do. Too bad Alpine got out of the 1.5 din market.

The CDA-D852 and (newer) CDA-D853 are the lower end units, while still more than adequate.

The CDA-D855 and (newer) CDA-D857 are the high-end units, and feature 4 volt preouts (better signal to noise), and I believe a better processer. (You *are* going to use an external amplifier, right?)

All models do have internal amplifiers, but I would not use the internal amp.

On ebay right now there are two D857 units; one has a "buy it now" of almost $500.00. That seems a little high to me.

I bought a used D855 on ebay, somewhere in the $250 range if I recall.

Also, parts are still available for these head units. The front face frequently has broken corners on used units; I had to replace mine when I bought it(picture on ebay showed a perfect unit, but it arrived broken, and the seller refused to refund or pay for the damage...).

I also picked up a used a/d/s PQ20 amp I plan to install as well (too many projects). The old a/d/s PQ20 (4 channel @ 80 watts per) and PH15 (6 channel @ 55 watts per) are some of the best amplifiers (in an affordable range) ever made for car stereo. They still trade on ebay, and go in the $200 to $350 used.

I've got a PH15 in our '92 Jeep Cherokee, its a wonderful amplifier

I like old, well built audio - I have 3 sets of Dahlquist speakers in the house (M905, M907, and M909).

Anyway, good luck.

Regards,

Ron Nelson

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have one of the pioneer deh series and it fits like factory. has good power without amps. if you are going to add amps, keep the factory deck and change out the cheap ass speakers and just and power! otherwise, go with the pioneer for looks and availability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts