Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the side script Roadmaster And Estate Wagon emblems in order to remove my wood grain. What's the best adhesive to use to re-apply the emblems.

·
Registered
372 Posts
3M double sided tape? They make it in various thicknesses, but you may have to trim it a bit to make it look good.

It's what I've used on previous cars and on my Harley.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
3M double sided tape? They make it in various thicknesses, but you may have to trim it a bit to make it look good.
its what i used

·
Registered
3,096 Posts

It's what I've used on previous cars and on my Harley.
Yeah, but not the cheap Walmart, Target type. Get the 3M pro stuff at Autozone, or paint supply store, etc. Thinner but has much greater grip. The thicker cheap stuff would look odd in use. Good stuff is black with a red backing, cheap stuff is white. Also good for rubber on chrome molding, etc.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I removed the side script Roadmaster And Estate Wagon emblems in order to remove my wood grain. What's the best adhesive to use to re-apply the emblems.
This worked for me, 3M double sided tape,you must clean both areas of which the 3M will be mounted on, with some type of cleaner solvent (Prep-sol)and when its warm out or use a heat gun.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yeah, but not the cheap Walmart, Target type. Get the 3M pro stuff at Autozone, or paint supply store, etc. Thinner but has much greater grip. The thicker cheap stuff would look odd in use. Good stuff is black with a red backing, cheap stuff is white. Also good for rubber on chrome molding, etc.
Yep, use the thin stuff. I always get my stuff from the local auto paint store.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What is the proper thickness 3m tape to use ? And whats the best way to help line up and put the emblems back in the correct spots? I need to put some back on a 96 Impala ?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm reinstalling the 2 on top.....Won't tape be visible? I was thinking I could use some type of gel or liquid adhesive and just outline each letter, then stick it back on.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
3M has a style of adhesive that comes in a sheet, that you press you emblems on to and then lift off and it leaves adhesive on the emblem. Great for emblems with lettering like yours.I think the part number is #08069, its called "press in place". Works wonders save a ton of time when double sided tape just won't work.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Has anyone tried the 3M liquid emblem adhesive?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Bump of an old thread to ask:

How do I clean the old adhesive from the back of the plastic badge? I want to re-inastall the Buick badge that fell off the back of the wagon. I'm afraid to use acetone.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Standard wax/grease remover should be okay,it's pretty mellow. Most body shop supply houses carry it.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I literally soak all the plastic/chrome emblems that I pull off cars in a bucket full of the previously mentioned wax n grease remover. the double sided tape almost falls off.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts