Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told you can't get a McLeod street twin anymore. I was told I should convert to a "push" style clutch. I am gonna daily drive it so I don't mind spending a bit to do it right the first time.

I am having a hard time searching for information on my phone. I am sure this has been covered.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
The McLeod representative told me they discontinued the twin for LT1 pull style applications.
crap...hope they can rebuild mine when the time comes

I am not aware of any other "pull" type twin brand

Some have done the "push" type using a Weir BH and hydraulic TO/Slave set up. Not aware of a Twin disc set up that would work but there may be one.

There are several single disc clutches in push or pull but for your HP goal you would need a more aggressive disc material either full face or puc type non organic disc which can hold some power but you give up street manners

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
I have no experience with clutch & pressure plates for use with the T56, but thought I'd offer up what I used on my 1970 Oldsmobile 4-4-2 with a nasty 455 I built going to an M22.

I used a Centerforce Dual Friction Assembly and was very happy with the feel of the pedal, as well as the hooking up it provided, in an equally heavy car.

As an FYI: The Link I provided was used looking up a '96 Camaro Z-28, and they list pull-style.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Spec stage 3+ will hold the power and you won't have to change anything else.

Nab

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It appears I really have no choice. I just got this T56 rebuilt. I am not in the mood to pay 1100 more just to convert to a problematic push style.

I really hope when I put this single disk clutch in, it doesn't suck in stop and go traffic. It would be a shame to shove an auto back in it.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
With a full face disk and the sprung hub, street manners are excellent!
Also don't neglect to get the flywheel resurfaced as well.

Nab

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Thank you for the encouragement, Nab. Why do you recommend the 3+ over the 2+ or even the 2?
It will hold more power and is a full face disk rather than a puck style.
If memory serves the stage 3 is a puck disk which grabs harshly.
The stage 2+ will be ok too, I think.

Nab

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
If I had to run a single disc clutch in a B-body with the kind of power you will make OP, I would run the SPEC 3+. It is a full face disc vs a "puc" type so street manners "should" be better...although the disc itself is more aggressive than organic

Ran the 2+, it sucked on street manners and died on season 2 at the track

absolutely get a FW resurfaced with any new clutch..or a new FW

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got off the phone with a Spec tech. He suggested the 2+. I asked the tech what would be the draw back with going with a 3+. Expense. The tech said the 3+ would last longer, have better street manners, and hold more power, over the 2 or 2+.

The tech said the 3+ is more behaved on the street than the 3. The tech said the stage 3 is a puck style and more of a "race" feel to it.

Pretty much confirmed the concensus. Thank you for the guidance. Spec Stage 3+ for me it is!

The part number for a Spec Stage 3+ clutch is SC423F.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tech said it should be the square one. He said they are very good bearings and regardless of the one you happen to get, they don't have problems and are considered worry free. He said even people who go with other clutch brands, use Spec bearings due to the quality. He said they have their bearings custom made.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
. He said they have their bearings custom made.
....ah OK....the one I got with my SPEC is made in "China". IDK who made the square tops for the LT4 Vette back in 97 but it sure was not SPEC

I have had "fact check" issues before with Spec Tech (Jeromy)....so if in fact they make them or source from offshore as my "Spec" TO bearing, fine. The square top one has a thicker lip which should resist peeling back as some of the round top ones do. With that said I have not had a LT1 TO bearing fail of any type

Attachments

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I am running the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch with a Autozone pressure plate(Their all the same anyways) and corvette throughout bearing. Smooth as butter and has held up to 800hp in a friends LT1 Firebird. Currently at 350hp but Procharger going on soon.

Mav

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spec stage 3+ will hold the power and you won't have to change anything else.

Nab

UPDATE: This is in the car. I have about 600 miles on it. Very happy with it. A bit more "grabby" than the stock clutch. I don't think pedal feel is too heavy. Over all, I will have no problem daily driving this on the street. Excellent choice! Thanks Nab.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Holy 2017, Batman!
I'm glad its working nicely for ya ;)

Nab

1 - 19 of 19 Posts