Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..

My first post! I plan on being a regular here because I've saved my pennies and will be inheriting my dad's '95 SS. I'm looking to change out the motor and the tranny, but want something that will 'drop in'. I'm decent with cars but don't want to get into changing mounting points, notching into the frame, etc.

I've heard a few good things about the Golen motors. Any others I should look at that are decently priced? And I haven't seen much about aftermarket trannys. The stock one is beat to hell, should I replace it or just rebuild?

I've got a lot to do with this car! Glad to be here!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're basically going to have to do your own research on what kind of motor you get. Speed costs money and all that.

Definitely mod the tranny FIRST and then use the leftover cash to build the engine. Are you going to do much highway driving? Drag racing? There are several paths to look at - TH400 for a drag racer, built stocker if you need overdrive, or the 6-speed is always an option. After you have the tranny the way you want it, THEN see how much you have left over to do engine and suspension mods. You may want to do some appearance mods, as well, it all depends on what's important to you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay my questions are a bit simpler. I am looking for a crate motor and new tranny that will bolt together to give me 4-500hp for a street car. I want something that will drop right in and don't want to have to worry about modding the frame or relocating mounts. Money is not a big deal I'm willing to spend 7-8k on a motor w/accessories, tranny+converter. I'll probably dump another 2k into new exhaust and suspenion parts. I'm not at all worried about appearance as this will be a daily driver and not a show car.

I'm going to continue to research the forum for info, but appreciate any advice from some of the local experts. Thanks!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At that budget level, just rebuild what you've got.
Convert the engine to a 383 using an Eagle package.
Or, you could consider buying a short block, from say GMPP, and sending your heads to Lloyd Elliot or A.I.

The 4L60E gets an undeserved bad rap at higher HP levels, but with a quality rebuild and a good cooler, it'll do fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.