Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on header and exhaust options for my car (95 ss) im still a little confused. I only have a k&n cai intake and trickflow intake elbow (home plate delete) so i wanna add headers and exhaust mostly for horsepower and for the sound but also hopefully pass inspection (i live in ny). Can anybody tell me what my two best header and exhaust combos for my situation are.

Thank you

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
everyone going to say tri-y's
so look up CIA tri-y's

·
Registered
296 Posts
i'm not an expert but i think the only smog legal headers are hooker super comp shorties,bbk, and edelbrock shorties, as far as catbacks im sure youl get many suggestions but my pick is the 2 1/2" hooker aerochamber catback

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
i read about them being really good but will i pass inspection with them?
i have no clue. i have SLP and they pass all inspections just will be a pain to find some and if you do they will be HIGH!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm not an expert but i think the only smog legal headers are hooker super comp shorties,bbk, and edelbrock shorties, as far as catbacks im sure youl get many suggestions but my pick is the 2 1/2" hooker aerochamber catback
outta those 3 whic are the best

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
outta those 3 whic are the best
I wouldn't waste the money or effort to install the Hookers or the Edelbrocks.

So by process of elimination........

BTW, I'd hold off until I could score some Street Legal Performance (SLPs) or Arizona Speed & Marine (AS&M's) if you're dead set on going the 'shorty' route.

As for exhaust systems.....Dynomax.

KW

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've been reading up on header and exhaust options for my car (95 ss) im still a little confused. I only have a k&n cai intake and trickflow intake elbow (home plate delete) so i wanna add headers and exhaust mostly for horsepower and for the sound but also hopefully pass inspection (i live in ny). Can anybody tell me what my two best header and exhaust combos for my situation are.

Thank you
cia tri y's are the only option for horsepower increase. like others said, you will see absolutely zero performance increases. as far as catback exhaust, for the money, pypes cat back, dynomax cat back, edelbrock cat back, and the jegs cat back are the best option for you. im almost certain that the clear image tri y's are legal for inspection because they have the air hookups and you can get converters with them. contact clear image though to make sure.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
.....im almost certain that the clear image tri y's are legal for inspection because they have the air hookups and you can get converters with them......
No, the Tri-Y's are not C.A.F.E. legal.....and that's what applicable inspection laws go by.

To be C.A.F.E. legal, a parts manufacturer has to put the product through a certification process that's very expensive. Clear Image hasn't done that for any of their headers.

KW

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
No, the Tri-Y's are not C.A.R.B. legal.....and that's what applicable inspection laws go by.

To be C.A.R.B. legal, a parts manufacturer has to put the product through a certification process that's very expensive. Clear Image hasn't done that for any of their headers.

KW
Fixed.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
cia tri y's are the only option for horsepower increase. like others said, you will see absolutely zero performance increases. ..........
Incorrect statement.
I run CIA Tri-Y's, but they are not the be all and end all of headers.
If you're set on using your stock cats, the SLP and AS&M shorties mentioned earlier are both worthwhile if you can find a deal on them.
For longtubes, there are many options.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Do not listen to this guy^^^^^^^^.

He has no idea on how to go fast with what we have in these cars.

Curtis

:D

·
Registered
654 Posts
No, the Tri-Y's are not C.A.F.E. legal.....and that's what applicable inspection laws go by.

To be C.A.F.E. legal, a parts manufacturer has to put the product through a certification process that's very expensive. Clear Image hasn't done that for any of their headers.

KW
i stand corrected!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Incorrect statement.
I run CIA Tri-Y's, but they are not the be all and end all of headers.
If you're set on using your stock cats, the SLP and AS&M shorties mentioned earlier are both worthwhile if you can find a deal on them.
For longtubes, there are many options.
i guess i should have clarified that i was speaking about the things that are readily available.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
It is not a money issue. All CIA headers move catalytic converters downstream from the stock location which is illegal for road use. However, you will pass emission (not necessarily visual inspection) tests if you install EGR hookups and catalytic converters that are designed for the headers.

All shorty headers except for the SLP ones either require welding or block valve covers. And SLPs are not being produced anymore and go for high $$$ on ebay.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Im in south florida so I dont have emission testing to worry about. My setup when I bought it was BBK headers no cats and the stainless borla exhuast with resonator tips. I left the resonators on because there where no cats. i also have a K&N intake also. The car has a wicked take-off up to second gear. It almost chirps tires anytime I speed from Ist to second. my brother has a factory 9c1 and it doesnt feel nowhere the same in acceloration. He loves my cars takeoff. after 2nd gear though it feels the same as my brothers 9C1. I feel the setup gives me a little more torque. When me and my brother are at a stand still i beat him off the line alday. But if we are already moving and are at like 40mph or higher we pretty much stay side by side.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts