Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the posts I have searched on about springs seem to relate to lowering and how much. While I love a lowered car, I live on some crappy roads, so the less I lower the better.

I am looking for a spring set that will lower no more than an inch, but handles better. I dont want to drive a tank, but I dont want to lean in every corner like I do now.

any insight?

Thanks

Doug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by KW Baraka:
The best springs (handling + comfort + looks) I know of lower by a bit more than 1":

Hotchkis Springs from http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&Ntt=hotchkis+springs+impala+ss&searchinresults=false&N=+115

or

Vogtland Springs from http://www.rusticracing.com/Springs/index.htm

KW
The Hotchkis was what I was leaning toward with what I have seen in posting around the net, but figured I would ask it flat out and see what people here had to say.

Thanks

Doug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are correct in that there aren't (or weren't) any performance spring sets out there that didn't drop the car over an inch.

This is why I have put together these new sets. The front springs are the linear 750# springs that many forum members are running now. This spring is much stiffer than stock but doesn't lower the car (unless you want it trimmed, which I can do)

I can then match this front spring with a rear linear spring with a rate of 175, 200, 225, or 250. The rear spring choice will be based on the amount of weight you usually carry in your trunk and the perfomance you desire.

The 175# spring works nice for a little bit of a drop (0.5" or so with an empty trunk). The 200# rear spring will provide stock ride height for an SS with standard weight.... the 225 and 250's are for guys with heavy trunks (auido equip) or wagons that don't want lowered.

These sets are available for $235

I don't have this info up on the web yet, so you'll have to e-mail or PM me to place and order.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by SS DD:
Which set compliments the SS's "rake" ....low in the front and up in the rear
Either will compliment the SS's body lines
!!!

But for a true rake, drop springs (Hotchkis or Vogtlands) in front and stock SS in the rear would be the ticket.

Chris (from Rustic Racing) had a set of front Vogtlands 'laying around' ;) .....and so I snatched them up :D !

Maybe he has another set......better ask him nicely, though

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just threw in Hotchkis springs and Monroe shocks in and it is awesome, I would only go w/ the Hotchkis or Vogtland springs, anything else seems to be too aggressive for my taste, both seem to be "what the car should have been" like other mods you do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by DRUZdcm:
I just threw in Hotchkis springs and Monroe shocks in and it is awesome, I would only go w/ the Hotchkis or Vogtland springs, anything else seems to be too aggressive for my taste, both seem to be "what the car should have been" like other mods you do.
exactly the kind of thinking I am going for. Thanks.

Doug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, as far as living where roads are not that straight.... Home is similar to the only road in Afghannistan here.... and I have H&R on my car ( about 3 inch drop)

it all depends on your tolerance, and the zq8 bumpstops

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rustic-

I wish you had those springs a year ago- I put 500# with a coil cut off in the front of my wagon, and although they are much better than stock it could still go a little firmer and still not be too firm.

I am all for the stock ride height though, as a daily driver it is nice to not drag tailpipes, front air dam etc on ANYTHING ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.