Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly certain I hurt my engine yesterday. The electric water pump quit while on a drive and I didn't catch it ... completely my fault for not watching and listening closer. Now I have a horrible metal on metal sound when the engine turns over. I'll pull it soon and see how bad it's hurt but I'm thinking this winter would be a good time to do a 396". Everything on the car; bolt-ons, heads, TH400, etc. will support more cubes and HP other than some minor things like a cam, tune, ... Where is the best place to get a quality forged 396" kit for a good price? I'll do a search but wanted to start here.

Thanks.

Scott

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
could just be the main bearings.

but if you are wanting to do a 396 anyway, the first person i'd contact, is Karl Ellwin.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could just be the main bearings.

but if you are wanting to do a 396 anyway, the first person i'd contact, is Karl Ellwin.
If that's all it is, and is fixable, I'll freshen up what I have and go that route. If any or all of the rotating assembly is junk it kind of makes sense to go bigger and forged while it's apart. I'm curious exactly what was hurt. The sound it's making when it turns over is horrendous ... :mad:

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts