Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9C1 has 145k miles on the original shocks, and it's almost time for replacement. I would like to purchase a solid performer, without breaking the bank. I know the Bilsteins are a great shock, but they are expensive. I'm not ruling them out, but I would like some opinions on the best overall shock for a performance oriented daily driver. Also, is it worth replacing the 9C1 springs (maintaining stock ride height)?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Get the Bilstein 1104/0929s. Everything out there that is cheaper (i.e. KYB, Monroe, Gabriel, etc).......well, it's cheaper for a reason ;)

At that mileage, new springs wouldn't hurt but as long as you're OK with the ride height as it is right now I'd just do shocks first and see where that gets you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are those the progressive rate Bilsteins?

I have the f-body version on my Z/28. They offer a nice compromise of comfort and performance in an area of the country with pot holes and other road ailments.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are the "stiffer" Bilsteins. Put it this way : know quite a few folks who bought the "mushier" ones (1516/1517) and later swapped for the 1104/0929s, but very few folks who did the opposite

With stock springs and tires, you'll be more than fine on pothole roads even with the "stiff" Bilsteins

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the progressive rate 1516.1517's suck...plus when they do firm up, they are a good deal stiffer than the "stiff" bilsteins. Every car with the 1104/0929 combo I've ridden in feels perfect.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I actually ordered from Allshocks.com this morning. Even though they were a few dollars more than shox.com, the lower shipping cost evened the price out difference. The customer service was great, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.