Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just made an epic 3 day trip with my beloved 91' CC from sunny Los Angeles to cold Pullman Washington!

The winter weather is about to kick in for the next 6 or so months and was wondering what the best snow tires are for our Wagons? Studs, no studs? Any specific brands or models that have worked?

Thank you for the help guys.

·
Registered
815 Posts
What you decide to do, and how much to spend depends on the following:

Just how much snow does that area receive? Once or twice during the whole winter, or 3" of snow fall every second day for four months?

I have relatives in Bellingham, WA and most winters they don't get any snow at all, or it might be once during the whole winter, so they never switch to winter tires at all.

I guess I can say I am qualified to discuss this, since there is already snow on the ground here, and the roads are generally snow-packed from December to April.

On my 96 RMW, I use Kumho 'IZen Stud' winter tires with the studs on all four wheels, undersized 215/75/15 to reduce floating on deep snow. I also know many folks here who have no trouble driving all winter on all-seasons. In fact, on my other cars, I never switch over the tires and for instance my 86 Caprice Estate has Kumho 795 all seasons. And that car still goes like a tractor through the snow.

So before going into a panic mode that you HAVE to get winter tires, find out from others what the expected snow fall will be in that area, or if freezing rain or ice is more of a concern (studs work well here). Does Pullman, WA have equipment to plow the roads quickly, and apply sand for traction? Ask around.

No matter what tires you have, take it easy and learn how your car handles on snow and ice in a big empty parking lot, since it is a lot different than driving in Los Angeles!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Bellingham doesnt get any snow becuase they are so close to the ocean and all but over here we get ALOT. Feet on top of feet and it doesnt go away for a few months. If you plan on driving alot most snow tires work fine mine are great, and my friends has studdless snow tires that work fine as well. you can allways put some weight in the truck to help a little more.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Wow, now that I looked on a map where Pullman is, I take back my comments about asking around if there is a lot of snow fall! I hadn't heard of Pullman before, so I had no idea it is on the east side of the state near Idaho.

The other comments apply regarding the studded tires I've had good success driving on, and take the time to learn how your car steers and brakes in the snow in an area without other cars and people around.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I've had Michelin Arctic Alpins in 215/75-15 on my wagon for 8 years worth of Michigan winters. I was very pleased with them. I got them out of the garage a month ago. When I measured the tread depth, I decided it was time for new ones, so I just bought new snow tires for the wagon. Based on all my research, I chose Michelin Latitude X-Ice (also 215/75-15). Haven't had any significant snow yet this year so I can't give you any 1st hand experience about them yet.

·
Premium Member
1996 Caprice 9c1, 2018 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel , '03 Ram 3500 Laramie Sport QC 4x4 Cummins
635 Posts
I always run an aggressive Goodyear tire with studs for winters here in Alaska. This year I'm trying a used set of Glacier Grips made by Master Craft. My buddy had these on his 9C1 and I game him my Goodyears. We'll see what happens with each brand of studs works best. 235 70 R15 studded on all 4 corners should work in your car,if not 225 75 R15. If you have ice problems I would use a softer compound tire since it will flex more in winter then a harder compound tire. Even with a softer compound tire,I still get 4 or 5 winters before I toss the tires. I toss them because of age,not mileage concerns. When I first got my new tires on my dually,I ran them studded in winter and pulled the studs out myself each spring,for 2 winters before too many miles made it hard to keep studs in. There are great stud-less winter tires that do perform well in snow and ice,that being said,they run such a soft compound, tires wear very quickly on bare roads or if you drive a lot.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I've used Mastercraft Glacier Grips which are great and are wearing very well. Ive also used Bridgestone Blizzak's which are probably my favorite but they wont last quite as long. I had a set of BF Goodrich snow tires which werent much good. I've also used Firestone Winterforce which can't be beat for the price and are studdable. My girlfriend has a set of Dunlops which are also very nice. The disadvantage of the Dunlops and Winterforce's is that they are directional so they can't be rotated. IF studs are legal where you live and the noise doesn't drive you insane they can't be beat.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Whats snow???:)

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
firestone winterforce! Studded if needed!
^^^This. I've been using Winterforce for as long as I can remember and have been unstoppable on every car I've owned. They only cost like $53 or $56 apiece as well, can't go wrong. (215/75/15 or possibly 225...something like that.)

Sean

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey thanks for all the help guys!

It sounds like th Firestone Winter Force Tires are what will suit my needs best!

willieQ: I am a studant at WSU, so if you see a gold CC on the Road its most likely me!

·
Registered
292 Posts
If a low price is important then the Winterforce tires a good bet, I've heard lots of good things about them. I've never used them however.

I personally have 225/75R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3 winter tires. They are amazing on snow and ice but they offer very mush handling on dry/wet roads. I just put mine on last night and forgot how poor they handle. I won't care when we have snowfall tomorrow however. My wife is a good but not great driver and she hauls the kids around in our wagon all year round. She really appreciates the winter tires since before owning a wagon she almost always drove FWD vehicles. They really help keep the car pointed in the intended direction.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I’ve used Bridgestone Blizzaks, Michelin Arctic Alpins and Firestone Winterforce tires. Winterforce is what I’m using now and will continue to use. They are unquestionably the best value on the market.

It’s my experience that on snow and ice, even inexpensive snow tires are dramatically better than the best all-season tires. You will be happy with the Winterforce tires.

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.