Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my Global West front springs. Man, what an improvement! I thought the ride would be more harsh, but it is actually more comfortable than with the Eicrap fronts. Car feels great. If you are looking for new springs, these are definately the ones to get.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GWs = stock SS height with NEW stock SS springs. If you have "tired" springs in front (hint : if you have 100K on the car, they've sagged
), this will most likely lift it a little.

Rears can depend what you're looking to do. I have stock rears.

I've had these fronts in my car now for 4 years. Still convinced they are the way to go for handling for a street-driven car!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cut 1/3 coil as well. I am also running eibachs in the rear, and for now they seem ok. After settling I may switch to cc627s depending on how high I am in the front. I still cannot believe the transformation. If you are looking for the best best comprimise between handling and comfort, I agree with Ed in saying these springs cannot be beat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are my numbers with 235-70 Goodyear RSA tires.

</font>
  • Caprice Height to middle of fender wells

9C1 stock GW front SW rear ST
    Left Front 29 3/8 28 3/4 26 1/4
    Right Front 29 27 3/4 26 3/16
    Left Rear 28 3/8 28 3/8 25 7/8
    Right Rear 28 28 25 7/8</font>
Wish I knew how to make these into proper columns so this could be easier to understand.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, it'll be a bit more drop than that. 1/3 coil = 1" drop on the Global Wests. 1/2 coil = 1.5" drop.

On stock SS or 9C1 springs, 1/2 coil = 1" drop.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool. These are on my short list.

When you cut them, did you use a hack saw or die grinder? Never cut a spring before, I do know you cant take sparky to it though.

Peter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In my case, we had a huge metal saw. Took about 20 seconds per spring to cut

Hacksaw or cutoff wheel (die grinder) should be fine. Key is you don't wanna put too much heat into the spring, so no torches :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excuse me for not knowing... but how do you figure the 1/3 - 1/2 coil, or even one? Where do you start, compared to where you start cutting?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I cut mine at the top. I also found it easier to cut the springs with a hacksaw rather than my saw-z-all.

I looked at my springs and I did cut the botttom as described below......my memory must be going bad :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You should cut off the bottom. When you have the spring in hand it will be obvious.

I am running Global West with 1/2 coil cut. I used a side grinder to cut.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the GW springs have a flat side(top). I cut mine opposite of the flat side. All I know on height is I can fit two fingers inbetween the tire and fender and still have a little room(1/8" at most) between my fingers and the fender. Before with the sagged Eibachs I could only put one finger in there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.