Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah, it did have a brand new EGR valve...so does this car as it was worn out and stuck when I got it.

Yeah, I do have a heavy foot...I wonder what a normal person could achieve :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
i havent heard one bad thing about the hotcam yet. fromt he research i've done on this forum, i thought the HOTcam would rev the engine too much. so the 845 was a better choice for eeryday driving.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The single biggest problem with the HOT cam lies not in the cam itself but in the fact WAY too many people think it is the beall endall of LT1 performance and do no research. A local actaully went through the trouble of swapping in stock Vette heads and had a HOT cam awaiting install before I talked him out of it. He is dead set on stock stall and gears and avoiding programming. Even the biggest HOT cam advocate will tell you that would have been a huge mistake. I did not tell him to throw the thing away or anything just advised him he was going to need to address the drivetrain and more importantly programming. The HOT cam certainly can make power but often people are not preparted to do what it takes to allow it to work properly, again the fault is in the person not the cam.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Originally posted by 96capriceMGR:
The single biggest problem with the HOT cam lies not in the cam itself but in the fact WAY too many people think it is the beall endall of LT1 performance and do no research......
Dwayne,

That's not the HOT cams problem.....that's the problem of people. The HOT cam in the right situation is a GREAT cam......even in the B-body!
.....A local actaully went through the trouble of swapping in stock Vette heads and had a HOT cam......He is dead set on stock stall and gears and avoiding programming. Even the biggest HOT cam advocate will tell you that would have been a huge mistake......
Absolutely! As you know, I'm a HOT cam advocate but it's like you said......it needs the right 'supporting cast'.
.EDIT
......The HOT cam certainly can make power but often people are not preparted to do what it takes to allow it to work properly, again the fault is in the person not the cam.
OK.....I started posting before I got to the end of your post. Seems we're in complete agreement

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
so the hot cam with ported heads, 1.6 rockers, screw in studs, are ok and wont reve the engine too fast? i've heard thats the problem with it. too much rev for the bottom end.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The stock bottomend is FAR more capable than many want to give it credit for, probably the biggest problem would be bearings and well if you do some RESEARCH on oil and run the right stuff(may not agree with the owners manual) you should be fine. Problem is many folks believe the oil spec'ed for the Vette was done so for longevity reasons but reality is it was more marketting, people love to claim it is THE ONE oil for the LT1 when alalysis PROVES it not that great for this engine. Using a oil proven good in this engine will go a long ways towards helping the bearings survive. Tip, if you think 10w-30 is thicker at operating temp than 5w-30 then you need to do lots of reading. The above aluded to 5w-30 is water thin where one of the best oils for this motor is a 0w-30 that is much thicker. Oil weights are RANGES not measurements.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
THe big problem with the Hot Cam is that people started eating up their transmissions. They were shifting at 6500. Between the more power and much higher rpm 3/4 gear was getting wiped out.

My original trans was rebuilt at 130k. It looked great inside and with a ton of dragracing laps.
The mechanic said it had another easy 20k to go. Figured it was better to rebuild a healthy trans then a trashed one.

Seems they never get rebuilt right. Mine came with new 5 gear planetaries so it will take the torque better and hi-perf clutches.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Originally posted by Dan Fahey:
THe big problem with the Hot Cam is that people started eating up their transmissions. They were shifting at 6500......
But that's not the cam's fault, either.

For our cars, the HOT cam is not an optimal drag racing cam. That's the only issue with it. If you're looking for a streetable cam with a very capable top-end then the HOT cam is a solid piece.

Just be advised that you will need at least a PCM Recalibration, a 2400 stall TC and 3.42 gears due to the cam not having much of a low-end 'punch' on its own.....

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Originally posted by Dan Fahey:
THe big problem with the Hot Cam is that people started eating up their transmissions. They were shifting at 6500. Between the more power and much higher rpm 3/4 gear was getting wiped out.

My original trans was rebuilt at 130k. It looked great inside and with a ton of dragracing laps.
The mechanic said it had another easy 20k to go. Figured it was better to rebuild a healthy trans then a trashed one.

Seems they never get rebuilt right. Mine came with new 5 gear planetaries so it will take the torque better and hi-perf clutches.
Right there is a case of everyone jumping on a bandwagon without anyone really verifying wether it is a good thing. The 5 pinion thig has been proven VERY overrated, depending what one they are more failure prone than the fairly good stock piece. That is exactly the same thing as the HOT cam, people hear about it and their mind is set that is a part they have to have without any further reseaech.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That is exactly the same thing as the HOT cam, people hear about it and their mind is set that is a part they have to have without any further reseaech.
Dwayne, this goes both ways. Too many people say crap about the hotcam with actually having any experience with it. I totally agree with KW's opinion about the hotcam, and both of us had ran hotcam in our cars. The cam makes a lot of power on the street. It's just not optimal for 1/4 mile racing. But that does not make it a bad cam.

A good thing about the hotcam is it has non-steep lobes and allows to run 1.6 rockers all around with stock heads. This makes the valvetrain upgrades a lot cheaper.

On the other hand, if you have fully ported heads and good valvetrain parts, the hotcam is definitely not the best choice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Originally posted by Ram Air 383:
I totally agree with KW's opinion about the hotcam, and both of us had ran hotcam in our cars. The cam makes a lot of power on the street. It's just not optimal for 1/4 mile racing. But that does not make it a bad cam.

A good thing about the hotcam is it has non-steep lobes and allows to run 1.6 rockers all around with stock heads. This makes the valvetrain upgrades a lot cheaper.
I'm in complete agreement as well...on the street (especially the highway) in a stock bottom end stock heads(but with appropriate gears) car, that cam rocks. Stoplight to stoplight it's not the best, (stock cam is probably one of the better ones for that though) and yeah at the track, you are leaving some on the table...but at the same time, I used to have people at the track that I had just raced say "man, I got you out of the hole but that car came on REAL strong on the top end...must be a blast on the street"...and he was absolutely right...when running that cam, I was able to hang with most stock and mild bolt ons LS1 cars on the highway (once they do headers or anything like that they were out of my league though). Having driven ZZ3 cammed cars, and having personally tuned my own hot cam car and a couple others, and a couple ZZ3 cams I can also tell you that the hot cam was better in EVERY aspect on the street, from sound, to driveability, to power...and I STILL got great gas mileage, and I passed MA's strict smog test (pretty much a copy of Cali) with no tricks at all...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I didn't have any problems off the line with the hotcam. My 60' times were consistent 1.73-1.76 sec with 3.73 gears and 3600 stall. And the 3600 Yank SS was as tight as most 2800-3000 converters. The car weight (with driver and full tank of gas) was 4430 the day I hit the best 1/4 and 60' time. The suspension was not drag oriented at all, especially with ~800 lb/inch front springs (cut GW) and no airbags. The first gear was useless on the street.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dan Fahey:

Right there is a case of everyone jumping on a bandwagon without anyone really verifying wether it is a good thing. The 5 pinion thig has been proven VERY overrated, </font>[/QUOTE]I talked with TSI last year about freshening up my 4L60E and Don over there said that there was really no benefit to upgrading the planetaries. Since he has built more high-performance transmissions than I could easily count, I went with his suggestion to let them be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The HOT cam is not a good "drag" cam only if the proper matching parts are not used.. With the right gears & converter it's pretty darn good. I can understand that the "right" gear & converter (i.e something in the range of 4.10's & a 3000 TC) may not be the most comfortable while cruising around town in some peoples opinion, but that doesnt make it a "bad drag cam" just not the correct choice for that person

With correct gearing & good tuning the low end range is not bad at all on the street either. NO cam is "good" for anything without the proper supporting parts to compliment it's operating range.

I think some folks are over analyzing things a bit in here... maybe even one or two (nah just one) that get off on telling people how wrong they are so they appear to be all knowing or someting...
:D

To the original question... Definately a very broad question. Without better defining the goals desired a thread like this can go astray... With no more info someone might recommend the wrong cam :D I'm suprised the Crane 227 or several other choices have not been discussed. It seems the thread got pretty far off the original topic though...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Your correct!! We have 1 person that always seems to reply on the negative side always!! Best street cam??? Who really knows what everybody is going to like. If it works for you I say have fun and run with it. You can do so much research your brain goes to sleep.

Handyman :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
As I already said the HOT cam is just too often used without the right supporting mods, the ET page speaks to it's ability to go fast, I know we are talking street cam but it is still a good source of info.
On my ZZ3 cam it was chosen specifically to if anything error on the side of too small and I have thought about swapping it out. It has done everything I asked of it but you certainly can go bigger if you are prepared to deal with any "cammed" manners. Only now with the headers is it even audible as non-stock and it was fine with stock gears and a 1650 stall. If someone wants a little lope and is willing to deal with a possible lowend loss and wants gears and stall then they certainly do need to at least look larger. The 227 cam is barely any bigger but ground specifigally for the LT1 I have wondered how that would be in the same car as the ZZ3 cam I think it would be a little stronger but not give up anything, and if I found one cheap I might even try it.

I know I come off as very anti-HOT cam but mostly I am just trying to make the people think as OFTEN they are newbies and not considering the supporting mods needed it was just the one cam they had heard of, in which case it is usually a bad choice for those people. I also think we need to consider usage here, my car sees mostly 55mph county roads, rarely do I get on the 65mph highway for more than 10 miles. A cam that is strongest down low therfore works best for me, at the track most even LS1 cars are seeing tailights for the first eigth or so then they pass me and MPH 6+mph faster, still gets their attention when the first 300ft. I was pulling like a freight train on them, a lot of guys have commented on how fast she comes out of the hole even though right now my 60fts. are poor around 1.9-2.0 due to too little gear for the tires. I am running 28x10.50 ET drags with 3.42s, with plans to go at least 3.73 maybe 4.10 since primary usage of the cart has changed since the gear swap.
Again I know not talking best track cams but the track is the only data collection most of really have so it will keep comming up if you want measurable data as opposed to strictly opinions. Even track times are hard to compare as for instance the track up here is known 2-3tenths slower than the one down by Milwaukee elevation is probably within 100ft and weather down there if anything averages a little warmer :confused: .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Dwayne, why change cams at this point? You've gone 13.9s so far, right? There is a lot of room to go with the cam you've got.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Originally posted by Dustman:
well it depends on your setup.. 2500 stall and a gear then a hotcam will feel GREAT and not be too big.

Low stall and even stock gear... Comp 304 or a stock cam... gobs of torque and fun to drive.Havent ever ever been impressed with the zz3 or similar cams.

Hotcam IMHO in driving MANY impalas with cams... is the best feeling and has the best sound to it while still being able to pass emissions on a good tune.

Remember GM engineers Specd the Hotcam. They know their stuff. People like to down the hotcam but it is just a great performer and well tuned can make 350 HP at the wheels very driveable.
I definitly agree wit Shane on this one...I have had some pretty quick "hotcam" set-up's....I have had it with stock heads and Crane golds...and with the LT4 heads and intake and Crane golds...with 3500 stall these were some potent ass set-up's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Originally posted by ÃÐïا§:
Dwayne, why change cams at this point? You've gone 13.9s so far, right? There is a lot of room to go with the cam you've got.
PM sent
I know more is left in this setup just thowing around ideas and would be willing to do some work in the name of science. Not often just the cam is changed in a car and true results posted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Originally posted by Ram Air 383:
I didn't have any problems off the line with the hotcam. My 60' times were consistent 1.73-1.76 sec with 3.73 gears and 3600 stall. And the 3600 Yank SS was as tight as most 2800-3000 converters.
3600 stall versus my clutch, and 3.06:1 first and 4.56 rear to my 2.66:1 first and 4.10 rear...car wasn't setup to launch...nothing in the engine woulda made my car launch like yours was capable of...it'd flat out need more gear and a way stroger clutch than I ran.

For the record though, my first gear was mostly useless around town too...from a roll a stab of the throttle would blow the rear end out sideways...if I hit it JUST right I could actually nail a 2-1 downshift and roll into the throttle just right and make the car really rip on the street though.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.