Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
81 - 87 of 87 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Originally posted by KW Baraka:
IMO.....a stock cam with good aftermarket valve spings and 1.7 RR's would be nice with an otherwise stock set-up!
The problem there is that nobody makes a self aligning 1.7 ratio SBC roller rocker. It can be done, but it takes work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Originally posted by MrCadillac (Magnum):
"street cam" seams hard to difine. But a street cam to me would: Work with 3.08-3.73(up to 4.10 with T56) gears, unported heads/3 angle valve job Stock valvejob is better than most performance shops can offer. , stock-2500 stall Better to go with a GOOD say 2800 9.5", they drive better than you think. , full weight, replacement springs w/1.6 rockers Rockers need to work with the cam most of the popular cams have too much exhaust lift to use 1.6s without valveguide mods. , no machine work needed, stock manifolds-mild headers Been there done that do headers first. , full exuast(cut outs not needed) Decent catback is all you need, cutouts are either a bandaid for a crappy catback or are for making noise. , works with power brakes without expansion chamber Not a concern unless you go stupidly big. , optimal shift at 5500-6000 I am shifting the ZZ3 cam at the top of this range the engine does go over 6K during the shift, this is the smallest cam I feel worth the effort 208/221. . thats what a street cam should do with. IMO
See bold comments that are embedded.

Beyond that I did the cam first with 2.93s and 1650 stall I had put in at rebuild was a stock truck converter, with stock exhaust manifolds one 14.9 slip. I gained almost nothing. Later did the 2800 stall and gained a lot at the track14.1 despite a swap to lower octane tuning, did the 3.42 gears and gained a little at the track 13.9 at a quicker track but it made the stall more drivable so it was worthwhile, then the headers and gained a lot again 13.2 first night out more left in the combo if I was going to keep it like this.

I did it assbackwards, do everything else first unless the motor is coming apart for another reason and the cam is easy at that point. Don't be afraid of a little gear and stall. My wife has still gone and picked up Grandma for dinner with my car as it sits now, hell the Mickey Thompson ET Drags were in the trunk at the time :D . Labor Day we hooked up my small fishing boat and went on a 500+ mile weekend trip to my parents and it is not highway travel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I have a lot to learn? yer damn right! thats why I'm posting. I have 3.73's in the mail, V-sptimgs and 1.6 rr's on order, headers in the making and a catback/intake already done. after the other mods, a tune, and then an edge 25-2800 are in the making. I was more curious which cam keeps 'stock cam' 2500-5500 RPM manners with more pull. I know theres a lot to learn, but I'm not going for E.T.s, I'm going for 'fun to drive and bash hondas'.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
TTT
whats a cam with more overal pull that would be shifted around 5700-6000.
You really need to define 'pull'. You looking for highest average torque increase, highest horsepower, highest peak torque, what?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
.....whats a cam with more overal pull that would be shifted around 5700-6000.
The stock cam......if you have decent valve springs and higher ratio roller rockers.

The ZZ3/4 cam or the Crane 227 cam would fit the bill quite nicely as well.....

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
i want to put an aftermarket cam in my car but i mainly just want that old school chevelle ticking sound. of course some power too but im not a speed demon so i am mainly looking for the sound. 22 inch rims arent good for racing

81 - 87 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.