Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a new set of wheels that are located 2000 miles away. What is the best deal shipping wheels? I was thinking freight shipping on a pallet to a business or local pickup with FedEx/UPS.

Anybody done this before? ~ How much did it run you?

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I shipped my stocks with UPS. I think it cost around $40+ each wheel.

Edit: That includes tire.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are 20" wheels and tires. Best rate I can find is like $300!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I just shipped 4 wheels and tire to Mass. from Olympia, Washington, I boxed each one up and sent 2 at a time they weight approx. 50 lbs each after I wrapped the sh#t out of them they weight 62 lbs each and cost $60-$65 each to ship through Fedex 5 day ground, $255 total. I spent about $40 on duct tape, and they got there with no problems. Sent them to Sdstick here on the forum.

Clay

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
A couple of members here are shipping ones I bought from Cali to MO and they are saying no more than $250 ground UPS.

These are with tires.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Tire Rack, Discount Tire, etc. ship millions of tires each year UNWRAPPED very cheaply. Admittedly, they get a better rate than we will. It may be wise to ship the wheels boxed and the tires bare. I have shipped boxed 15" wheels cross country for about $20 ea with UPS, but that was several years ago - rates have gone up. Never shipped tires but if the big boys can ship unwrapped, why can't we? Hint: Don't use the UPS Store - they are pricey. Call UPS for pick up. If you you wrap in plastic, the PO may take them, but I have not tried it. Shipping anything on a pallet really jacks up the cost. Also try Greyhound Bus (really). They have good rates on larger heavy items and terminal to terminal helps the rate.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
^^^Greyhound is cheap. I sent a pair of wheelhouses from FL to MI for $50, and a dash pad from FL to CA for $66. You just have to make sure any sharp edges are covered.

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Tire Rack, Discount Tire, etc. ship millions of tires each year UNWRAPPED very cheaply. Admittedly, they get a better rate than we will. It may be wise to ship the wheels boxed and the tires bare. I have shipped boxed 15" wheels cross country for about $20 ea with UPS, but that was several years ago - rates have gone up. Never shipped tires but if the big boys can ship unwrapped, why can't we? Hint: Don't use the UPS Store - they are pricey. Call UPS for pick up. If you you wrap in plastic, the PO may take them, but I have not tried it. Shipping anything on a pallet really jacks up the cost. Also try Greyhound Bus (really). They have good rates on larger heavy items and terminal to terminal helps the rate.
Tire rack uses some custom built plastic covers for shipping mounted wheels and tires. They also use plastic straps to band tires together for shipping. Its a little more sophisticated than it sounds. I belive they even have pix on thier website.

If you ship ANY wheels and tires, INSURE THE HELL OUT OF THEM. UPS may not be so bad anymore, but stuff gets stolen regularly.

IF you are shipping MOUNTED wheels and tires, Shrink wrapping them to a pallet and shipping by freight is surprisingly cheap. Or at least it was when I ran a shipping department.
Check these guys. http://www.dbschenkerusa.com/eschenkerusa/shippingratesandtimes/index.html

But NOTHING beats greyhound. I just wonder how secure that is.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Shipped a set of Impala SS wheels from a forum member from USA to Europe.
Used USPS.

Each wheel in its box with some additional wrapping at each edge (inside box) to protect the rims edges.

Apparently when you ship 4 wheels on the same day in the same truck with same packing they slightly get damaged because one will contact the others (when thrown into or out of the USPS truck/aircraft) ????????

They just got minor dents anyway and got balanced easily with very little lead added.

In other words, ship them all linked together on a pallet or in a big box or ship them one after the other not on the same day !!!

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
^^^Greyhound is cheap. I sent a pair of wheelhouses from FL to MI for $50, and a dash pad from FL to CA for $66. You just have to make sure any sharp edges are covered.
Greyhound INDEED.

Fred put me on with them, alot cheaper.

$140 for about 130lbs of stuff to cali. BTW im in va.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts