Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So coming back to work from lunch, i really ran my old RMW hard. Discovered the upper hose leaked near the connection point of the thermostat elbow, on the right side looking at the engine. It looks like the coolant leaked down toward the ignition coil and module area. Right when i pulled into my spot, the car cut out and chugged and ran rough. I thought it might be dead/blown engine. But then came out after it had cooled and car started up fine and ran. I cut it off, then figured i could fill up radiator and make it home. I got about a quarter mile and it starts cutting out and chugging again. Let it cool off about 30 minutes, started up and ran a while, then cut out again. In the old days, this would have sounded like the old Ford ignition module issue, where when it got warm/hot, it would fail. I don't think this is an optispark issue (rather, i HOPE it's not that) - what do you all think? Coil and module are easy tries though...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
I'm leaning toward ignition side of things. Either coolant/water got into the coil/icm or the Opti.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. Same here. But given that the car now runs fine until it heats up would have me thinking it’s not the distributor. Wouldn’t a distributor issue make it run like crap the whole time, hot or cold, while a coil or module usually present running poorly when they heat up?

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
Yes. Same here. But given that the car now runs fine until it heats ...... You could be chasing something completely disassociated like a bad ground opened up when hot. Other age-weakened parts could be faulting when heated up. More of those are elec/ign related as 4Door- mentions.

Wouldn't a distributor issue make it run like crap the whole time, hot or cold, while a coil or module usually present running poorly when they heat up? Hopefully you're running the orig dist., which does NOT have the problem with some aftermarket that cut out when hot from a poor quality optical sensor. And IC/ICM are regular (and cheap) maint. items. Nobody will accuse you of throwing parts at it and getting that outta your hair if they're the originals.

To consider: Running while low on AF/overheating can hurt the thermostat. Bad Elec. Temp Sensor (or its connector) can be assoc. with cutouts/dies. Don't rule out anything. If 'twer me I'd pull the WP, check inside that Opti for anything, clean it, new tune-up parts especially if oem and anything over 100k, run it until warm at least to see if anything glitchy, reinstall WP with new thermo and assure proper bleeding with new AF if more than 6 years old. I think there's ways to check the sensor with a VOM.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
big leak at goose neck and you say not an opti problem that is not good thinking.

remove the hose that goes to the lower opti port remove the other hose that goes to the intake pipe .. blow some air into that hose and see it any mess comes out the opti .lower hose . if so then you will have to do the opti deal.

my WP seal blew out engine OFF in my driveway .. drove home from store short drive .. open trunk to get out my purchases then I heard a pop sound then I looked on the driveway pavement and dexcool around my feet ..

never started the engine , well when I did the WP sure as sh*t dexcool got into the opti .. no much be ya it got in ..

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some good fortune. I replaced the top hose, and tested the coil (was fine). The issue was the coil wire boot at the opti end had decomposed, letting coolant into the connection. I cleaned out the recess on the opti with contact cleaner, replaced the coil wire with a good stock GM wire and she runs just fine now.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Some good fortune. I replaced the top hose, and tested the coil (was fine). The issue was the coil wire boot at the opti end had decomposed, letting coolant into the connection. I cleaned out the recess on the opti with contact cleaner, replaced the coil wire with a good stock GM wire and she runs just fine now.
if it did arc check that the coil plastic is not with a carbon track etched into the coil..
check for any arcing in the dark ..you may have lucked out with that big hose leak.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes sir. No arcing at all. I actually changed out the coil as preventative and for good measure (they’re cheap), but no arcing spots were noted on the old coil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts