Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a GP for a super-size wagon rear bar configured like the old HA/HO sedan rear bar--straight across, not contoured to the axle like the OE rear sedan bars.

This "super bar" is 1.5" in diameter--solid, not tubular. This bar MUST be used with aftermarket fabricated tubular rear lower control arms.

There are a number of suppliers of aftermarket control arms if you do not have them now--ensure the design includes reinforced mounting surface and support tubes for any hollow (tubular) product, whether round or square material.

The wagon super-bar cost will be $264, includes attaching hardware, delivered to any 48-state US address.

Currently, plans are to produce only 5 of these bars (the minimum the manufacturer will do), unless more than the current number who have committed to buying one contacts me--please do not wait to the last minute!

The cutoff date for increasing the production run above 5 of the "super bar" for wagons is Wednesday Nov 25th.

There is a smaller solid wagon rear bar currently available, no minimum number of buyers--1-5/16", $240 delivered. This bar is formed like the OE sedan bar, contoured to the axle, and CAN be used with OE lower control arms with the last version OE control arm mounting reinforcements.

All bars are produced in California, and have a hammertone silver powdercoat finish.

If you want in, please PM or e-mail me ASAP.

UPDATE - COMBINATION F/R BAR KITS

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I know a guy down here with a wagon Ill ask him

·
Registered
448 Posts
PM sent any news?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Is it possible that the price could go down if more people buy in? If so should we wait and announce it more? Right now it sounds like a good deal. But less money would be a better deal. BTW what is the HA/HO bar?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
BIGGER is not always better,.(inmho)
especially on a stock vehicle,.sometimes adding 1 part of a puzzle without adding all the necessary supporting pieces is not the way to go,..
perhaps some explanations as to the different handling characterisitics the different size bars will cause,.??
There are quite a few folks reading this forum,.that rely on on whats posted here,

Nick
HA/HO bars were made quite a while back by HERB ADAMS,. definitely large bars,. good for drifting,...:D

·
Registered
448 Posts
especially on a stock vehicle,.sometimes adding 1 part of a puzzle without adding all the necessary supporting pieces is not the way to go,..
perhaps some explanations as to the different handling characterisitics the different size bars will cause,.??
There are quite a few folks reading this forum,.that rely on on whats posted here,

Nick
HA/HO bars were made quite a while back by HERB ADAMS,. definitely large bars,. good for drifting,...:D

I agree. to use a bar this big the front bar should also be upgraded. As long as a larger front bar is added you will be fine. I think an 1 1/4 would be fine. I think the main point of this bar is that it may be a better bar than some on the market because of the way it is being done. If one were to just add this rear bar with a stock front it would be looser than normal or even looser than using a sedan bar.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Nick
Capo,

No disagreement here. Wagon weight & distribution, higher rear spring rates, higher CG, etc, will all have an effect on how the handling is affected by rear bar addition and/or other changes.

The big bar will want big(ger) tires to take full advantage. A larger front bar (stock is 28mm) should probably be part of the plan--higher rate front springs will work too, as far as re-balancing the car and reducing tendency to oversteer, with the car staying flatter in turns.

HO bars were a HA (Herb Adams) "knockoff"--HO Racing specialized in Pontiac stuff. I think the shop was in Upland CA. The HO rear bar was only produced for sedans, as I recall. First wagon rear bars were Hotchkis, I think.

I'm only running the GP because someone asked me where they could get such a bar for their wagon, and what you see here is the result.

"Caveat emptor"

We've got the requisite 5 for doing the "super bar" GP. E-mail me with address, phone, etc. Will contact each directly regarding payment. Delivery is estimated at 4 weeks--NOT promised!

·
Registered
261 Posts
smaller bar info

Bill,
i'd like some more info on the smaller rear bar you mentioned a few entries up. has this bar been mentioned before? if so, what company is it from, and what is a good match for a front bar? my wagon is a daily drive/work horse, and i'd like to improve the handling for highway cruising including on/off ramp ventures as well as towing. currently i'm running the 1104/929 bilsteins, spohn rear lca's, airlift bags, and a few other minor upgrades. i'd like to pair this bar with a stock front SS bar (in the corner of the garage!) and some decent hardware/bushings. let me know, and thanks for the info and your constant contributions here.

Brandon

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brandon,

The supplier is Hellwig, but this bar is not from their standard product listing.

I used the 1-5/16" bar on the last wagon I had, combined with a 30mm OE (Impala SS) front bar, using poly frame bushings and end links--pretty much what your plan is, including the shocks and bags.

This made for a very nice combination--reasonably reduced roll without being harsh (more of an issue at the front of the car with a REALLY big bar), although I was running the rear bar on stock lower control arms.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
UPDATE - front bar special with combo purchase

PLEASE re-read first post in this thread(<<<click here)--it has been revised and updated (11/19/09).

The supplier wondered whether doing a GP for rear bars only was all we wanted to do. So, they've offered to do a combination front & rear deal--the front bar will be 1-3/8" diameter SOLID stock, and can be combined with either of the previously mentioned rear bars.

The kicker is that the front bar will be discounted an additional 10% on a 2-bar (F/R) purchase.

The prices for combination bar sets (WAGON ONLY)--delivered--will be:

a. Front bar w/1-5/16" rear bar $442.50

b. Front bar w/1-1/2" rear "super" bar $466.50

The above "combo" prices reflect the 10% discount taken on the front bar - $202.50 delivered plus rear bar of your choice.

If you already have a rear bar, and may be looking for a larger front bar, the 1-3/8" bar is available separately for $225 delivered to any 48-state address.

Front bar fits ALL 1977 & later B/D chassis--sedan or wagon.

Front bar kit includes frame bushings & clamps, and new end links.

For shipping quotes for other non-48 state addresses, please contact me directly by e-mail [email protected]

PHOTO - shows 1-5/16" wagon rear bar (shaped like OE rear sedan bar)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Lower Control Arms?

Hi Bill,

I was reading the post on the sway bar kits. I am intersted in the small sway bar kit and I was curious to know if they make lower control arms. It they do make them could you find out the price? I appreciate any information you can provide.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Redline, the bar supplier does not make lower control arms, sorry!

There are quite a number of rear control arm suppliers that are active here on ISSF, and others that are not. There's lots of competition for customers, so you can benefit from that.

Here's a "top of the head" list of current suppliers--no intent to miss any particular source.

-Currie (used to be sold through Rustic Racing--GP running now)
-BMR
-UMI - note Thanksgiving Special running in Vendor section
-Hotchkis
-Metco (one of the early suppliers - solid aluminum, not an active ISSF advertiser)
-Global West (not active on ISSF--not sure if B-body arm is currently available)

-C3 Fabrication (new source, e-bay seller)
-PPM - new product promised by January

Each has a specific design feature that they like to promote. Bottom line is deciding what your needs, goals, preferences, and price point are in relation to each of the products that are there to choose from.

Regarding bars, just PM me or contact via direct e-mail to address in sig (below)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Bill,
thanks for the info and the pm reminder. with the addition of the new car, i'm not sure if this is in the budget at this time though. it's in the air for now...

·
Registered
448 Posts
This is a super buy here people.

·
Registered
448 Posts
They just arrived and OMG. WOW!!!!! Thanx Bill for making this happen. I will post pics to my build thread later.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Bill,

Look what arrived today. Merry Christmas to me.

Thanks for putting this together. They look first rate with the hammered metal finish.

After the holidays I'll get them on the cars.

My best to you and yours for the holidays.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
So, I know I'm digging up an old subject here, but...

There is a smaller solid wagon rear bar currently available, no minimum number of buyers--1-5/16", $240 delivered. This bar is formed like the OE sedan bar, contoured to the axle, and CAN be used with OE lower control arms with the last version OE control arm mounting reinforcements.
Does this mean that I can just order this one from them whenever?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts