Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im in the market for a billet steering wheel. But i need to know what all is needed to make it fit. Is there any specific adapters i need. Im lookin on Ebay and they have good deals. Dont want to buy something and then have to wait on something else, or it wont fit. :confused:

Please chime in billet steering wheel owner

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

the adpt says 94chevy but it worked out fine for mines, and i got a 95...jus git some good gloves ready...ish gits hottt..good luck see ya at INCFEST 2010
Thanks yea Im ready to have that lil white rag on me at all times. and yea im tryin to get ready for INCFEST 2010.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I have only used billet specialties, but the thing with them is you buy everything separate. adapter, wheel, horn button & half ring. I have another adapter for our cars, when I get back to the shop I will get the part number. If you need someone to install it LMK you must remove the ABS stuff out of the column and solder in a resister for the pass air bag to work.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea ill take it to u and i need to take the grill too to get painted i just been slackin..

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
what do you do with the airbag coil assembly? or how do you remove it. i just got my steering wheel, adapter and hub. every thing seams to look like its going to fit fine but that dammmmm yellow wire coming from the coil is killing me. HELP HELP HELP

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
ttt.........

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
I got a two pack of 4 ohm, 10 watt resistors from Radio Shack. I used them in parallel to give me the 2 ohms to mimic the clock spring. You can solder them to the plug end you cut off of the clock spring wire. They are not sensitive to polarity. Cutting the wire makes it easy to remove the clock spring, because you can just pull the wire through the steering column. Otherwise you will be pulling the wire tunnel off of the bottom of the steering column. With the resistor in place, the car will think it still has an airbag, the light will still blink, and the passenger side bag will still work. The clock spring itself, is held in place by an outside circlip, so you need an outside circlip pliers.

If you ever want to reassemble the wheel with the clock spring, You can splice the wires, and it will work fine. The FSM says to use crimp connectors, but if you can solder proficiently, that should be equally satisfactory.

I would suggest a wheel of at least 14 inches in diameter, because the steering feels a little heavy with a smaller wheel. The OEM wheel is about 15 inches in diameter.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys, got my wheel installed.
its an ebay kit ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380246645684 ) only had to add a couple washers between the hub and hub cover so it wouldnt rub on the steering column.
Be careful, the washers under the adapter may not allow the wheel to seat properly. The part that rubs when you do not put the washers under is two small tabs on the inside top of the bezel trim. They are designed to align the clockspring. If you remove them, the chrome ring will not rub, and your wheel will be properly seated. It is just a safety thing.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
no way in hell i'd take a chance with it

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Be careful, the washers under the adapter may not allow the wheel to seat properly. The part that rubs when you do not put the washers under is two small tabs on the inside top of the bezel trim. They are designed to align the clockspring. If you remove them, the chrome ring will not rub, and your wheel will be properly seated. It is just a safety thing.
What i did when installing was put the hub in first and tighten it down then then i test fitted the cover, it sat almost right on the bezel towards the top so when you would turn the steering wheel it would rub, in one certain spot. i removed it and added the spacers just to lift the hub cover enough. is it suppose to fit inside th colum? becuse it doesnt seam like it will. i also see what you mean about the clock sprin tabs. but thats not where it was rubing.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
What i did when installing was put the hub in first and tighten it down then then i test fitted the cover, it sat almost right on the bezel towards the top so when you would turn the steering wheel it would rub, in one certain spot. i removed it and added the spacers just to lift the hub cover enough. is it suppose to fit inside th colum? becuse it doesnt seam like it will. i also see what you mean about the clock sprin tabs. but thats not where it was rubing.
The chrome part is supposed to fit inside the bezel. Your bezel may be warped. If you remove the tabs on the top inside of the shroud, it should fit inside. I removed a wheel today, and there are actually 4 tabs not 2, but the same instructions apply. I used a dremel with a small end mill/cutter to cut them down smooth with the inside. I have since changed to an NRG adapter, but it worked fine that way for me. The wheel is then properly seated and the bolts are in shear, like they are supposed to be, instead of a bending moment, which does not give them the strength they are designed to have. But then it is your car, and you can do what ever you want.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
i dont want to half azz it so ill pull it off and do what you said. thanks Fred

1 - 20 of 24 Posts