Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys like better, billet or chrome rims. I was thinkin about getting chrome, but i think i'm already back to billet. I think the billet would look better, chrome is flashy, billet is more of a "serious" look.

------------------
SLMDCSS
95 Caprice Classic LT1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have had both, and will never buy a billet wheel again. so hard to keep clean on a driver. chrome cleans up with soap and water, or a little windex and you are done. how about chrome plated billet wheels? that would be BAD!

------------------
Randode,
91 Caprice Classic That I Bought From An 80 Year Old Man. Correction, Wiped Out On Beach Blvd. Correction, slowly piecing back together.
[email protected]
http://home.earthlink.net/~randode/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you hit something with chrome you usually cant fix them, billet you can. I dont know yet, but i think i'm gonna go with some b. coddingtons. I get a good deal anyways.

------------------
SLMDCSS
95 Caprice Classic LT1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hej Tirpitz!

I downloaded your videos. I especially liked the burnout with the Impala. Seen it 10 times already I think!

And...can someone explain the meaning of the word "Billet" to me please.

------------------
95BBB
Mattias Fernlund
Kronoberg Wexio
Sweden

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keepin thread alive.

------------------
SLMDCSS
95 Caprice Classic LT1
Firestone airbag suspension: 4 compressors, 14 gal. air, spindles, parker valves, 10 switches, full pillar pod with air guages, Tri-y's, custom exhaust with Dynomax Ultra-flo's, SS wheels, custom intake, Eclipse/Soundstream stereo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'm on my 4th set of dubs and i gotta tell ya chrome looks good but the TORQ THRUST II just look devious on the ss. If the other 3 ever get here , still waiting week # 9!! two weeks till daytona.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mattia-SS:
And...can someone explain the meaning of the word "Billet" to me please.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Billet is a "type" of aluminum. Couldn't tell you the definition of the word.
I'm sure someome else can enlighten us.

------------------
Paul B.

"Speak softly...and carry a BIG STICK"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'm getting some billets for my 92 as soon as i get my tax return check i havent figured out if im going to get 15x8's or some 17's i think i'll go with the 15's

------------------
92 CAPRICE LTZ stock 305,3.23gears,pete jackson gear drive,K&Nfilter,duel exuast,ssgrille,clear fronts and rear lights,msd 8.5 wires x4plugs
DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT
DONT DRINK AND DRIVE YOU WILL SPILL YOUR BEER

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<b>Billet</B>

Chrome will be sooner or later

------------------
Mike @ No Limits Motorsports
209-472-0875
[email protected]
94 BBB Stock 14.80's
93 Typhoon Stock ?
67 Chevelle 11.50's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlackNite:
Billet is a "type" of aluminum. Couldn't tell you the definition of the word.
I'm sure someome else can enlighten us.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually "Billet" is not a "type" of aluminum but how the metal is configured before machining.

Generally, metal comes as Billet or Bar (although billet really means bar). Billet is a chunk of any type of metal.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, no problem Paul.

In a way, you're right. In the car world billet practically means aluminum but in the manufacturing world (where I work) it means any metal.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have billet - and they ARE hard to keep clean.

Yeah, chrome can chip and flake - but usually won't if it's done right.

If I were to do it again, I'd probably still get billet since I like the wheel styles better - but I'll probably chrome or powdercoat mine eventually.

Those that subscribe to GMTHP have probably seen the ad for "Next Generation" catalogs. It have a Ram Air Trans Am on the cover (black or dark blue) with white 5-spoke wheels...it looks killer!

------------------
'96 LT1 Caprice
Tunercat Enhanced
Best 1/4 time: 14.5 @ 93 mph

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
(QUOTE)
In a way, you're right. In the car world billet practically means aluminum but in the manufacturing world (where I work) it means any metal.

Brewdog,

What do you do in manufacturing? Are you refering to plate when you say "bar or billet"? I have never heard of SST, copper, brass or many other metals referd to as billet? What is your statement based upon?

D_

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have both types (see below), and here are my observations. For a daily driver, go with chrome- it is easier to keep clean. For a rarely driven car, billet is a cool idea because there is more choice in pattern (due to the way the centers are milled by CNC). I spend at least 20 minutes on each wheel when I wash my 71 (cleaning only- polishing takes much longer).

As for chrome peeling, the old advice applies: you get what you pay for. My Anteras (chrome option) still look great, but they were not cheap. Buy a wheel from a reputable manufacturer, and you will save yourself money in the long run.

------------------
Jason Wren
1994 9C1SS BBB, 18" Anteras, Impala springs, Z28 white cluster
1971 Pontiac Parisienne 17" Weld billets, lowered/shaved
1965 Impala convertible- stock

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dermo:
Brewdog,

What do you do in manufacturing? Are you refering to plate when you say "bar or billet"? I have never heard of SST, copper, brass or many other metals referd to as billet? What is your statement based upon?

D_
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been an Industrial Engineer for years with everything from a tube bending machine company (Eaton Leonard) to WaterJet cutting (WaterJet Technology). Right now I am the Southern California Regional Sales Manager for Diamond Machine Works (I handle CA, AZ, NV, & UT). The owner wants me to be Operations Manager but that means moving to Seattle. Before that I interned with EG&G KT Aerofab while I was in college. [I have had other jobs in between, even LE but that's a long story].

We cut lots of different "billet". Titanium billet, inconel billet and plenty of other material. I was taught that "billet" just meant a solid block of material. I checked the dictaionary and it pretty much says the same thing.

In the car world when someone says "billet" they mean aluminum. But if you said it on my shop's floor, the first question asked would be "what material"?

Mike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.