Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I did a search and didn't come up with a real step by step instruction list for all 4 shocks. I got the stiff bilsteins. Can someone tell me how it goes, and what I do with the bushings and washers that came with the Bilstien. Also I'm not sure if I'm suppose to jack the car up on its frame or something else. Sounds like I'm hopeless but I'm not :D if someone can just point me out in the right direction I'll have them in in no time. This is the first time I'm installing shocks, so any help would be appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't trip man.. i was in the exact same position when i first got my bilsteins.. you can check the topic of my post ;) http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=002995#000008

basically the top bolt on the front shocks is a B!TCH. go out and buy the shock removal tool for sure and try to get em out that way but if not, you're gonna have to break the bold and stud off the top of the shock with a LONG extention. You gotta move the plastic or whatever sheet that is that covers the Upper Control Arm from the engine bay and you'll see the bolt.
2. once the top bolt is off, remove the bottom two bolts from the bottom of the shock and slide it through the bottom of the LCA.
3. Next, just work backwards. Put the shock back in through the LCA. The larger of the two washers goes on the bottom, then a bushing with the "nipple" side facing the washer. Slide the shock in that way and then put the other bushing on and the smaller washer on top.
4. tighten the shock with an allen wrench until the bushings are spread out to the width of the washers.
5. Tighten the bottom two bolts onto the bottom of the shocks and you're done with the fronts!

Now the backs are pretty straight forward but awkward is an understatement!
Expect on connecting a couple long extentions and hopefully you got a friend because its kinda hard to get a wrench to fit behind that panel over the body and align onto the nut.
1. Jack up the rear of the car and put it on jackstands.
2. Jack up the rear end and remove the nut from the bottom of the rear shock. Once one side is off, drop the rear end but keep the jack there cause you may have to move it up or down for clearance.
3. You'll see what i mean when i get down there but there are two bolts that hold the top of the rear shocks on. You have to get an open ended wrench on the one closer to the body and use a couple extentions and a socket to remove the bolt closer to you. You'll see..
4. Once you remove the old ones, just work backwards. Put the new shocks on. A good idea is to put the bolt through facing you when you put the shocks back on and have the side with the nut on your side so you dont keep dropping and losing the nut.
I think its important to remove only one shock at a time.

Good luck. Bilsteins really make the car feel like you're hugging the road. I would never go back. Let us know how it goes

Oh, and if you get the squeeking in the front shocks and someone tells you how to get rid of it, drop me an email cause i sure don't know how to get rid of it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AWSOME bro thanks A MILLION!!!! One more thing, do I put the jackstand on the frame or the control arm or ... ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seen a mechanic at Speedy do the rears on another car and he put a impact gun to the bolts and overtightened the old bolts until they simply sheered off and then he reinstalled the new ones from the top (nut on bottom, with spring washers on top to keep the bolt from turning.) Looked easy enough I will try the rears myself. Good luck. BTW put it under the frame, it allows the arm to drop and give you a better look at things and it also lets the shock cylinder extend so you dont have to press the cylinder into the shock so far. ( most shocks come closed with a plastic loop you can cut off after, but I prefer to put it in place through the LCA and then cut them free) To tell you the truth they only charge 80 CND dollars (50 USD) to have Speedy do all four, so see how much your time is worth and maybe you will see its easier to watch than to do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok front ones in. I couldn't find the shock removal tool so I tried to bend and break the stud ... BAD IDEA, spend the whole day trying to pry the nut off a bend stud. Finally got it done, BUT most importantly I found out a way to remove the shocks in less than a few minutes. OK, you know that gator grip, WOW it came in handy (thank you to my girlfriend). This is what you do, jack the car up from the lower control arm this way the uper control arm comes up a but to give better access. Then put the gator grip on top of the stud and with a 16mm wrench hold the nut. With the gador grip turn in clockwise that way the nut comes out. Easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.