Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you get what you pay for but man those Bilsteins are expensive. Anybody know where to get some for cheap or some cheaper shocks with similar performance?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cheapest place I've seen the bilstiens is shox.com....and btw, it should be the last set of shocks you would need to buy, lifetime guarantee. Definatley worth the $$, the quality is just outstanding. Order a set, and you'll see what I mean.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just checked the links are you guys running the heavy duty or the sport shocks?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think you are going to find Bilsteins cheaper that the $260-270 range. They are worth saving up for. If you are completely against it, then look into the monroe severe service shocks. There is a long post all about them and prices in this section. Just do a search by the name. I know those are significantly cheaper than the Bils.
If you decide on the Bils, look into getting the firm (sport) 1104/0929 Bilsteins.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Monroe severe Service Shocks are good. $160 for four at Advance Auto. Need to special order but delivery is like 2 days. Lifetime warranty at Advance Auto. Only a 1 yr warranty at NAPA and some other places. #'s are 550012/550013.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the 1104/0929's are the sport shocks. thats what i run. They're stiffer than the HD's. they made a major difference in my ride and handling. i think they were worth it even though i dont know how the monroe shocks handle. I like my bilsteins a lot though. you wont be disappointed

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just put on my Sport Bilsteins-they are great! :eek:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dittos on the Sport Shocks on my Fleetwood.
I did the SS springs, BRM? lower rear arms, HO sway bars and the Bilsteins. What a difference, and still with a good ride!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Monroe severe service shocks 146.95 from pickproparts.com this shock is made for police and taxi applications so when ordering you have to order for a caprice. this shock is the best price performance combination in my opinion part # 550012-550013. :D :D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, need assistance here. I have stock suspension what is the best Bilstein shock to get? The Heavy Duty (15151 & 15151) or Sport (B46-1104 & B46-0929) Did the search but, everyone has after market spring or have lowered the car. So what do ya think? Thanks for your time. -Ryan

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the HD 1516/1517 shocks and I have had them since 02/01 and I'm warranting them out for the 1104/0929 sport shocks. When I had the 1516/1517 with the Eibach springs the ride was very choppy and bouncy, I have since gone back to the stock springs and will replace the shocks this weekend. The Bilsteins are expensive but like one already said its the last shock you will have. I got my shocks at Autozone.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mags94
I searched around and found www.eshocks.com has the Bilstein SS B46-1104 and 0929 for $269.00 when you purchase 4. OOOO and shipping is free on over $200.00 orders.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just finished replacing the shocks and it was a killer, not that bad but if you have an extra person for the rear shocks it make your life alot easier. I had a knocking from the rear end everytime I would hit a bump of any size and as soon as I changed the shocks the knocking was gone. While I was under their I inspected everything to make sure it wasn't the upper control arms....I did find out the differential cover is leaking.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bilstein- 929/1104 the same ones from my stolen 1992 RMWagon came off the salvaged hulk and went right onto my 1995 RMWagon - Bilstein shocks are the best!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the stiff Bilsteins, the "sport" ones as they're being called. Got them from shox.com... If I had to replace them again I would try to find something even stiffer. ;)

Oh, and when the mechanic was installing them, he notified me that one of the top nuts on one of the shocks was, well, um, missing...

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I called bilstein years ago before I ordered mine and I believe the "Sport" and "HD" designations have nothing to do with the part numbers 1104 and 0929. It has to do with the application. Like for a 9C1, the 1104/0929s would be called HD, but for an SS, they would be called Sport. Something like that. The reason I called is because I wanted to make sure there was only one set of 1104/0929 shocks and not different valvings (I would have wanted the stiffer of the two if that was the case).
About 90k on my 1104s in the front and they have noticably softened.
The rears have less mileage as I snapped the lower shock stud while trying to loosen the nut. Ended up replacing them both.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Kevin Moore:
I called bilstein years ago before I ordered mine and I believe the "Sport" and "HD" designations have nothing to do with the part numbers 1104 and 0929. It has to do with the application. Like for a 9C1, the 1104/0929s would be called HD, but for an SS, they would be called Sport. Something like that. The reason I called is because I wanted to make sure there was only one set of 1104/0929 shocks and not different valvings (I would have wanted the stiffer of the two if that was the case).
About 90k on my 1104s in the front and they have noticably softened.
The rears have less mileage as I snapped the lower shock stud while trying to loosen the nut. Ended up replacing them both.
When I was researching these awhile back before I bought mine, there were 2 different PNs. :confused:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i just did my suspension i went with the monroe severe service and there great what a difference

1 - 20 of 28 Posts