Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give Kudo's to www.Corvetteradios.com and the kits they offer for GM radios. Seems like a lot of the GM radios have problems with the Radio/CD working fine and other lights are lite except the Display lights. We just bought an '05 Grand Prix with this exact issue and youtube has a few vids on the issue and is how I found these guys.

I ordered the 3 bulb kit ($23 shipped) from them on Thursday and it arrived Monday night. Took the radio apart and YES, all 3 bulbs were burned out. Was able to solder in the replacements last night and the display works great....don't have to guess at the tune anymore.

It looks like on their site that they carry a bunch of kits for other GM Radios and just wanted to share in case someone has a radio with some sort of lighting issue. If so, they may be able to help with some replacement parts. As the one video shows, be careful of just using bulbs from Radio shack as they may not last.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the video that about 9 min. in, he mentions CorvetteRadios site. He also mentions why you might want to invest in the correct bulb rather than something from Ebay....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3OI2EdQrlY

I also found this video and he used bulbs he found at Radio Shack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TkGnDEd78

For the amount of work involved with removing/opening up the radio and having to solder them to the Board, it just made sense to spend the $23 on the correct bulbs. Although this was for a Pontiac Radio, their site does sell parts for other GM Radios of our early to mid-nineties era.

I will add if you are doing this, get the right tools. I forget which but in the video it was mentioned to just heat the solder and wiggle the old bulb out. I don't like the idea of doing this and instead used a "Solder Sucker" to remove the solder when heated. If you don't have a S sucker then maybe some solder Wick would work.

Removing the old solder also helps when installing the new Bulb Leads. I use as little heat as possible on Circuit boards when doing this type of work. And in some cases, you may be dealing with a Multi Layer Board with internal traces and pulling on the leads like that could damage those traces.....so be careful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts