Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Last time I had the waterpump off and just used the 2 holes at the block where the WP mounts. If WP is still mounted, you could just plug the 2 heater ports and top rad port on the WP and fill the block through the t-stat opening. I have rubber plugs for those ports but you could get creative and use clamped off pieces of Old hose to block off the WP ports.

I like to loosely thread the knock sensors back into the block, fill it with water and then remove the KS's to let it flush out again. Do this 5 or 6 times til the water comes out clear. I'm not a big believer in using any chemicals to do this, just water. there may be some chemical you could dump in, let sit and then flush. But keep in mind that will all pour out on you as you remove the KS. :frown2: Also those chemicals MAY NOT be good for the internals of the WP.

Once complete, put your coolant and distilled water in. A full SYSTEM drain should take about 2 gallons of each (4 total) to refill assuming a 50/50 mix. I prefer the green coolant but you need to maintain it more often then the other stuff. Whatever you choose, don't mix the types of coolant. Strongly recommend a new cap, Tstat, Tee and Restrictor as well and flush that heater core and reservoir too.....fun times!!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
You might research Evans waterless coolant. It is expensive, but works much better than water based coolants. It does require a special flush that removes all water, and water based coolant from the car. You must flush the heater core, and the radiator as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts