Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK just finished doing a little maintenance after my water pump took dump on me. New cap & rotor, cleaned throttle body, new seals in the timing chain cover, new spark plug wires, and a new water pump. Everything went fine except when I tried to start a couple of the spark plugs wires weren't making good contact so first attempt to start ended up just shutting the entire electrical system down hard a few times. Car runs fine now (still a little miss but it was there before I started, sticky lifter?) but I lost the first 3 settings on my blower, heat and AC. Full blast still works great so after looking at a diagram I noticed there was a high blower relay, could this be my problem? Other than the electrical system going down hard and requiring me to disconnect the battery and reconnecting before anything came back on I don't see any of my work effecting that switch. Others tell me it's the switch on the dash.

·
Super Moderator
6,005 Posts
It's the resistor pack. Located right next to the blower. The wiring harness plugs into it. Cheap, and easy to replace.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, good looking out!

·
Registered
586 Posts
This is exactly the issue I had with our 96. No blower except in high setting. Got a resister, replaced the old one and all is good again.

BTW, the FSM diagnostics for the HVAC doesn't have this problem in the list of things that can go wrong. They show 'blower works in low and high settings only' and 'blower only works in medium settings, not low or high', so this had me perplexed. A quick search here found my issue and solution!

·
Registered
9 Posts
condensation in the system eventually takes its toll on the resistors (coils). They rot and go open leading to no operation of the blower except a system voltage, which bypasses the resistor.

R

·
Registered
865 Posts
I had to replace the same thing on the wife's 1996 RMW after about an hour of trouble shooting and two fan motors here are some pics.

The left side is the good one
the right has a prong missing causing it not to turn on

mouse # two whats left of it

mouse # one R.I.P. ,this causing a very bad vibration.

right one looks to have some corrosion from water leaking somewhere?

Broken prong inside of the plug

How to remove from plug connector insert a #1 tiny jewelers screwdriver until it stops,pull wire out.

repair clean the connector, pull tab slightly out before reinserting into plug

reinstalled and also used dielectric grease

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You have to have some sense of pleasure knowing that rat bastard died vandalizing your ride! :)

Thats gangster though you just kept working over his dead body.

I had to replace the same thing on the wife's 1996 RMW after about an hour of trouble shooting and two fan motors here are some pics.

The left side is the good one
the right has a prong missing causing it not to turn on

mouse # two whats left of it

mouse # one R.I.P. ,this causing a very bad vibration.

right one looks to have some corrosion from water leaking somewhere?

Broken prong inside of the plug

How to remove from plug connector insert a #1 tiny jewelers screwdriver until it stops,pull wire out.

repair clean the connector, pull tab slightly out before reinserting into plug

reinstalled and also used dielectric grease

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
If you coat the bottom of the coils with liquid insulation, it will dry, and protect the connections from water. It should extend the life of the resistor module.

The electronic module only came with the automatic climate control, not the manual.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Just tried the resistor change with both cars and it's still a no go! Does anyone know the next thing to check when blower switch only works on highest setting?

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
There is a high speed relay under the passenger's side of the dash, and the only thing left after that is the switch itself.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm....and where would that high speed relay be? Is it pictured in the FSM's?

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
It is on the passenger's side under the dash. Yes it is in the FSM.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Okay, came home from work and removed the whole climate assembly and switched it with the other 9C1, no dice!

Found the relay you were talking about Fred, it's actually right near the coil thingy screwed in upwards. Switched that out and no dice!

Final attempt for the nite of switching the actual 1,2,3,4 switch and again, no dice!
Did the coil thingy and it wasn't that either from earlier on this post...

So, it's never an easy fix for me...well some things are.

Question: Could the blower only work on 4 and not 1,2, and 3?
What would you advise on the next run through?

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Paint your new resistor pack

I got tired of replacing the resistor pack in my 96 ss every couple of years due to condensation rusting the base connection. so the 3rd time i replaced it i masked off the resistors right down to very base. then i painted the base and the connections with high temp paint, nice and thick to protect the connections from water intrusion. that was over 10 years ago and it's still working. there it is. try it. it works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts