Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I blew 3 (30amp) fuses in my amp the other day.
Haven't had time to check it out.
I bought 3 from radio shack and they blew out too.

They blew out when I had my stereo come on at a very high volume with a big bass note playing. Normally can play, but the burp blew them.

Now with the volume down, it still blew.

I do have a 2nd battery in my trunk and no fuse between it and amp. I have the fuse between the first and second battery.
Wires are good. :confused:

I can usually figure these thigns out but I started school and am busy 8am-10pm. :(

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A. Upgrade fuses (temp fix)

B. Sounds to me like your amp is clipping. I doubt a fuse between the 2nd battery and the amp is going to help

C. Possible the amp is fried

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im gonna disconnect the amp from power, which I didnt do when I installed the cheap radio shack fuses.
Then turn it off from H/U.
Then reinstall everything and turn amp on H/U and see if it stays.
Hopefully I didn't fry the amp.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by k gee™:

I do have a 2nd battery in my trunk and no fuse between it and amp. I have the fuse between the first and second battery.
Wires are good. :confused:

Kevin there should be two fuses between the batteries. If the fuse up front blows because of a short there will still be current from the second battery through those oh 12 feet of power wire ;) Elecrtical Fire = bad.

Cracka you have no clue what an amp clipping sounds like

It might be your amp Kevin. One of my memphis 3004 started doing that. It was the power supply. Memphis fixed it.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I know I need a fuse between the 2nd batt and amp. Been hoping for no fires...lol.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I bought 3 more fuses, disconnected the amp and installed them. Put the ground to amp and it started smoking. Opened it up and tried again and the amp was catching on fire. BUT the fuses DID NOT blow.

I am guessing its "fried".
It was only catching fire from the side where it is off the main board. Kinda where the heat sink looking things are. :confused:

What can I do?

Should I install another amp I have here? Or will it prolly fry also?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a question that could go either way. It may have been a bad amp....

Or you could have bad wiring or a short out that took the amp down. I would suggest checking the voltage at the amp (if any) and check the voltage at each fuse.... also check the wire for any snags or exposure

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As someone who repairs amps, your amp is toast.

Remove and replace.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amp was good...it blew fuses and stopped working when the cd came on at a high volume and large bass note. It appears its done for, but it doesn't make sense as to why. As far as the sudden bass hit, I would think it would have simply blew the fuses. Not fried the amp. Oh well.

I did plan on checking voltage, just need to find time.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You let the magic smoke out. :D
Amps fail just like any other electronic device. The repair motto is if it moves or gets hot, check those first.
Failure modes are power supply transistors short out, or output transistors short out, or the "driver" transistors short out. The drivers are the transistors that drive the output transistors. SOmetimes there are other failure modes, but that is 90% of them in car amps. Capacitors like to throw a bone in the fight once in a while also.
When any of these short out (sometimes they fail open- but mostly short out) they take out neighbor components also.
Long story short, when something gets hot multiple times, and gets stressed near its design limits repeatedly (there is a reason expensive amps are expensive) that tiny little wafer of silicon is gonna short out.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You runnin a cap (capacitor)?? If not you have no added benefit from running a cell battery in the trunk. And I would check to make sure that all my wires are NOT TOUCHING and make sure that the ground wire is not jumping around when the bass hits as well.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So... why is a battery in the trunk useless without a cap?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by UndercoverPunk:
Id like to hear the reasoning behind that as well

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by UndercoverPunk:

I would really like to know the answer to that also. I have 2 Optimas in the trunk running my system and it does a fantastic job without a cap in there. Explain what I missed.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I doubt this guy will reply.

Well after a week with no bass...Im use to it. I am so busy with work and school 7 days a week I haven't really had time to think about this.
But I do think I will purchase a DEI 1200 amp.
Not looking to spend a whole bunch of money.

Still not sure why my old amp took a crap.

It was a "Better Audio" internet company that never took off like the others. Suppose to be a [email protected] amp. But w/e I only paid $250 for it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts