Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who currently has the best price on BMR upper and lower control arms? (stock length)

The cheapest I could find was at nolimitsmotorsports.net They have them for $138 for upper and $194 for lower. I remember about a month ago seeing them somewhere for around $270 for upper and lower.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the BMR lowers.
I agree with the above.
I grease the hell out of them, and something is squeeking big time. Plus the issue that a few have had with the cracking. I guess maybe they got that resolved?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by bbodyguy (o) (o):
I have the BMR lowers.
I agree with the above.
I grease the hell out of them, and something is squeeking big time. Plus the issue that a few have had with the cracking. I guess maybe they got that resolved?
I think the cracking issue had to due with the fact the old style had the sway bar bolts thread through the control arm. I haven't had any issues with my lower units. But as agreed, to me the UMI LCAs look better than the BMRs and would prolly outlast them too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Buffman:
I think the cracking issue had to due with the fact the old style had the sway bar bolts thread through the control arm.
Ummm, not quite ;)

They had the bolt thru the arm, which is a fundamentally sound design. In fact, pretty much every other arm out there uses that design.

No, the issue with the BMRs (or at least the issue that caused the cracking) had to do with how they reinforced the arm for the swaybar "mount pad". Namely, the pad ended right at the front of the bar.

Combined with undersized tubing, this put stress into the tube at the front of the swaybar mount pad every time the axle articulated. Eventually in some cases, this stress caused arm failure.

How to fix it : simple, make the pad run the length of the arm or at least considerably longer than the swaybar. It would literally cost BMR only a few $$$ per arm set to do this. As far as I know, they STILL haven't done it :(

Add in that to the fact they also are still using undersized bushings and, well, let's just say the arms are an exercise in frustration for me. They COULD be "decent" (or at least as decent as any arm with poly bushings all around, but that'll go in another thread ;) ) with just a little bit of redesign and not cheaping out so much on a few key things. For whatever reason, BMR has never fixed the issues...

If you're stuck on an "all poly" arm, then the UMIs are a better choice. If you want the suspension to work right, look to the designs from Rustic Racing or Global West that allow suspension articulation without bind.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW, I called Global West to purchace some LCAs. They took my name and number. They said they would call me in several months when they got some in stock. Still waiting for said call. This would have worked out great as GW is only 4 miles from my house. Looks like Rustic will be getting a call from me very soon.

What pisses me off is that when a vender is in my state (CA), it usualy equates to a kiss of death:

********* (although it is just hearsay for me)

No Limits Motorsports (Customer service was non-existant for me. Unless charging your credit card is "customer service")

Now Global West with their "don't call us, we will call you" deal they got goin on.

EDIT: Since when is Fred-er-ico a bad word?

[ 05-08-2007, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: 9C1 Newbee ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Buffman:
I think the cracking issue had to due with the fact the old style had the sway bar bolts thread through the control arm.
Ummm, not quite ;)

They had the bolt thru the arm, which is a fundamentally sound design. In fact, pretty much every other arm out there uses that design.

No, the issue with the BMRs (or at least the issue that caused the cracking) had to do with how they reinforced the arm for the swaybar "mount pad". Namely, the pad ended right at the front of the bar.

Combined with undersized tubing, this put stress into the tube at the front of the swaybar mount pad every time the axle articulated. Eventually in some cases, this stress caused arm failure.

How to fix it : simple, make the pad run the length of the arm or at least considerably longer than the swaybar. It would literally cost BMR only a few $$$ per arm set to do this. As far as I know, they STILL haven't done it :(

Add in that to the fact they also are still using undersized bushings and, well, let's just say the arms are an exercise in frustration for me. They COULD be "decent" (or at least as decent as any arm with poly bushings all around, but that'll go in another thread ;) ) with just a little bit of redesign and not cheaping out so much on a few key things. For whatever reason, BMR has never fixed the issues...

If you're stuck on an "all poly" arm, then the UMIs are a better choice. If you want the suspension to work right, look to the designs from Rustic Racing or Global West that allow suspension articulation without bind.
</font>[/QUOTE]Noted. I still recall the old style having the sway bar bolts thread through the bolt hole in the arm instead of just passing through it and then using a nut on top.

Now Ed while they are considered "Not the Best" Option when choosing a LCA, they do they job, and prolly havent been redesigned because there havent been enough compliants about the arms. I know Spartus runs the older style BMR LCAs with a big honking rear bar, and hasn't had issue. I even recall SSONIC running BMRs at one point also

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.