Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody,

I just purchased some BMR lower control arms and they didn't come with any hardware. What did you guys who installed some do, use the old hardware? Also, any advice or tricks to install them?

Thanks,
Mag

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally posted by Mags94SS:
[QB]Hello Everybody,

I just purchased some BMR lower control arms and they didn't come with any hardware. What did you guys who installed some do, use the old hardware? Also, any advice or tricks to install them?

Thanks,

The lowers reuse the origional mounting bolts and bolts for the sway bar.
Be sure to use jack stands and you'll need a floor jack to support the rear end. Do both sides at the same time. It makes aligning them much eaiser.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This may seem stupid to some, but I had a sumonab!tch time getting my old lower control arms off. That is, until I realized that the rearend wanted to pivot/rotate forward when unloaded, thus putting a lot of pressure on the lower mounts. Doh!

Bottom line, jack up the rear as noted above to unload the lower control arms, and the bolts will slip right out in your hand. I learned the hard way after a bit of head scratching and unsuccessful hammer work. Once I figured this out, the install was easy.

If you already knew this, all the power to you!

Hope this helped. If not, it'll probably help someone in the future that does a search.

Keep the faith...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was going to do one side at a time, thanks for the advice. How do you align the rear end, shouldn't it align itself because the control arms are equal length? I have the stock length control arms.

Thanks,
Mag

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mags94SS:
I was going to do one side at a time, thanks for the advice. How do you align the rear end, shouldn't it align itself because the control arms are equal length? I have the stock length control arms.

Thanks,
Mag
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't want to put words into RJI's mouth, but I think he was meaning if you had the extended contoll arms. Doing just one at a time would put some angle in the rear end making the bolt holes not line up very good, making it harder than it needs to be.

But with stock length lowers (new ones) you should be fine doing one at a time. Yes, the rearend will be self aligned by the arms.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like to do both side at once even with stock length because I have had problems even with stock length arms. Sometimes the old stock rubber bushings have compressed and the trying to instal one new arm causes things to not line up and you have to fight to get the bolts in.
Like amickracing said, they will self align and you can do one side at a time. For me doing both sides at once was eaiser.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for not mentioning that I had stock length control arms. I will do both at the same time to make things easier. Thanks again for the advice gentlemen.

Mag

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't mention this but I have a 94 Impala and I have removed the sway bar, but the original bolts won't work because their only 2" long and I need something like 4" or so. The BMR control arms have the holes bolts for the sway bar but won't accept the 2" threaded bolts, I will need some new bolts along with washers and nuts. Is it just my set-up or is something wrong here?
I was wondering if someone can help me choose a new hydraulic car lift, my old one doesn't lift anymore and the stock lift broke. I have seen two different types some have a 4" wide disk and other types has a small tower with a small disk, what's the difference in their performance?

Thanks,
Mag

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
about the bolts....i searched about mounting hardware and ended up ordering a "kit" from totally stainless (8007674781). it's got some really nice bolts to mount the front and rear HA/HO bars. shipped to MD it was like $25.xx, but the bolts are really nice looking :rolleyes: .

brandon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.