Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to buy a set off rims from a 645, now If i find wheel adapters that's a half inch thick how much would the rims poke out.

The rims are 20x8.5 and 20x10 3pc Maya

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Nice looking wheels... but that last one on the right looks like it has a bent lip?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
I assume he knows that. I still was not gonna point it out. people never want bad news told to them.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
After a closer look of those wheels... another one looks bent as well. I put a red circle around the area that looks bent.... see the 2 white bright spots, those are the high spots. In between is a low area or bent area. Just my observation.

Im not trying to keep you from doing this conversion. I think it would look amazing with these wheels on an impala or caprice if it can work.... Im not an expert on putting a wheel on from a different model of car. But, I have an eye for when something looks a little jacked up... like a bent rim.

I know there are conversion kits that could probably make it work. As for poking out.. it will depend on the offset of the wheels.. The rears might poke out a bit... being 10" already. Hopefully some of the wheel guys here can answer that question for you better than i can.

I just want you know what your buying or inspect them closer.. maybe you can talk to the person you are buying these wheels from to lower the price or get them fixed... They do look like they can be fixed..... good luck with this.. and if you do it.... Lets seee some pics.... those are some beautiful wheels.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After a closer look of those wheels... another one looks bent as well. I put a red circle around the area that looks bent.... see the 2 white bright spots, those are the high spots. In between is a low area or bent area. Just my observation.

Im not trying to keep you from doing this conversion. I think it would look amazing with these wheels on an impala or caprice if it can work.... Im not an expert on putting a wheel on from a different model of car. But, I have an eye for when something looks a little jacked up... like a bent rim.

I know there are conversion kits that could probably make it work. As for poking out.. it will depend on the offset of the wheels.. The rears might poke out a bit... being 10" already. Hopefully some of the wheel guys here can answer that question for you better than i can.

I just want you know what your buying or inspect them closer.. maybe you can talk to the person you are buying these wheels from to lower the price or get them fixed... They do look like they can be fixed..... good luck with this.. and if you do it.... Lets seee some pics.... those are some beautiful wheels.

Good looking out DSSTRBD, u could have just not said anything , but u didn't and i respect that. The guy did say that the rims had a bend in the lip, I was thinking i can get them for a steal.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
your welcome man. good luck with your endeavor.

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
the hook up, if you know the right people, is to buy used, damage BMW wheels CHEAP (wouldn't pay over a grand) and get them to a wheel shop that can repair them and redrill them. You might have to get them repaired at one place and redrilled somewhere else, but if you can get them cheap enough, it's well worth it.

Look at the cost of a new set of 3pc wheels ($3-5k)
If you spent $400 getting them straightened and $200 gettin them redrilled, you're still WAAAY ahead. Amd most repair shops can refinish them in any color you want.

It's worthwhile. Spend a little time reading the info in the master sticky.

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
You sure can. You've seen the pix. What kind of deal are you getting, if you don't mind saying.

you MIGHT get away with a 1in spacer (one inch is the thinnest an adapter can safely be made.) If you can get the exact offset/backspacing specs, I'll run the numbers and see if it can work. I've been learning that B-bodys can tolerate a bit lower offsets than I thought.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The rims are on ebay now with a no reserve action, Starting bid is $200 with 3 days left.

This is the car they came off.

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
If they are they likely +18mm offset, a 1 inch adapter, which converts to about 25mm, would drop your offset to a -7. You MIGHT get away with that on the front running a 255/35R20, but running that on the rear is likely to cause rubbing. Running 245/35r20's front and 275/30r20's rear MIGHT get you by.
Then again, That -7 just might clear with some fender rolling. Tyr to find a shop that has some 1 inch adapters on the shelf and see if you can do a test fit.

Better to get them redrilled. But it doesn't matter if you don't win.
Good luck in the bidding!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts